Chapter Twenty-Five

I wish this day would never end. It’s been so nice hanging out with my best friend and Alex. Just as we are finishing off yet another movie Cassie’s phone goes off. 

“Hello.” She answers. “Sure.”

She hands me the phone. “It’s Hunter.”

Alex sits up a little straighter. I take her cell and walk down the hall. I don’t know what he wants but I hate talking on the phone around a group of people, I find it so rude. 

“Hey, what’s up?” I ask him.

“I was talking to Mom and she said you were at Cassie’s. I tried to call you but it went straight to voicemail.”

“Yeah I forgot my charger and it died last night.”

“I was just going to see if you guys wanted to meet up for dinner before you head home.” Hunter says.

Shit, I hate lying to people.

“Actually we already left. I still have some work to do.”

“What?! You never leave work for the last minute. Is everything ok? It is a little unusual for you to visit campus for no reason and not even drop by or tell me you are here.” I sense a hint of hurt in his voice. 

“Sorry, I’ve just been stressed. Finals, holidays, and waiting to hear back from colleges, you know. I just needed a little girl time to vent and clear my head. I promise I’ll let you know the next time I’m there.” 

“Ok, well you two drive safe and have a good night.” 

“We will. Thanks!”

We say our goodbyes and hang up. First my parents and now Hunter. I sit down on the bed. I guess I should get used to it. I can’t tell them or anyone else about Alex. Which means any time spent with him will lead to lies to my family and friends. I am deep in thought when Alex walks into the room. 

“Is everything alright?” He asks. He seems unsure.

“Yeah.” I’m sure he can hear the uncertainty in my voice. 

He sits down next to me. 

“I just really hate lying to people.” I confess. 

“I’m sorry. I wish I could tell you it will get easier but it probably won’t. Is he a close friend of yours?” He quietly asks. 

“Who?” I look up at him confused. 

“Hunter. I remember the name from the party. He’s the reason you left in such a hurry.”

I didn’t think about it. I never explained that part of the night. Could he be jealous? I start to smile.

“Hunter is my older brother. I knew if he saw me at the party he would have been pissed at Cassie for taking me. We didn’t think he was going to be there but Cassie saw him. So we left before he found out and made a scene.”

“I didn’t know you had a brother.” he simply states.

“There is a lot we don't know about each other but I’m excited to take the next five months or so to learn.” I smile at him.

“What?” He eyes my smile.

“Will there be a test at the end of the year?” I tease him.

“I don’t know. Why? Worried you won’t pass?” He smiles down at me.

“Please, I’ve gotten a perfect score on every test you’ve ever given me.” I smirk up at him.

"Can't deny you are my best and favorite student."

I look down and see the time on the cell phone. I need to get home. 

"It's getting late. It's a school night so my parents expect me home for dinner." I tell him. 

Cassie and I try to help clean up but Alex won't have it. So we say our goodbyes. 

Alex pulls me close and wraps his arms around my waist. I look up at his beautiful hazel eyes. 

"Today was great. I wish we had more time together but I know you have to get home. I have work and you have school tomorrow." 

I notice his eyes drop down to my lips for a split second and I know he is battling with himself. So just like at the party, I gather the courage to reach up and kiss him goodbye. We both keep it simple, not deepening the kiss. When we pull away he has a huge grin on his face. 

"Good night, Anna."

"Good night, Alex."

On the short drive home Cassie tells me more about James. Occasionally asking me about Alex. Alex and I are so new I don't want to talk about all of it just yet. So I'm relieved to listen to her ramble on. 

My mom invites Cassie to eat dinner with us. To all of our surprise she says no; she needs to get back because she has class in the morning. But she doesn't argue or deny my mom when she packs her dinner to go. 

After dinner I go to bed or at least I go to my room. I pull out my journal. I have hours worth of updating to do before my brain will be able to rest. If my nerves let me sleep.