Chapter Twenty-Six

My third alarm goes off as I brush my hair. I set so many alarms in fear I would sleep through one. I got to bed late and struggled to get to sleep. I look through my clothes trying to find something to wear. I never put this much thought into what I wear to school but now it’s different. I know it’s crazy because Alex has seen me in my normal school attire many times. But now that I know he has seen me at my best I feel the need to do better than my normal. UGH! He probably won’t even notice and it’s so cold outside. I look at a cute summer dress and wish it was warmer. I grab a pair of skinny jeans and a t-shirt. I grab one of my long cardigans that stop just above my knees. I look in the mirror and fix my hair one more time. I put on my usual eyeliner and a small splash of blush. I consider doing more for a moment but remind myself it’s just school.

I make my way downstairs, grab a banana for breakfast, and head to school. I do my best not to let my nerves get the best of me as I drive. When I park I look over at the teacher parking lot and instantly spot Alex’s car. Mr. Hinsley now that we are at school. 

I grab my bag from the back seat and head to my locker. When I’ve put everything away and gotten what I need for first period I fight the urge to go straight to class to see him. Instead I go talk to Brittany like every morning.

“Wow you look cute today.” Brittany beams at me. 

I knew I overdid it. Damn it. Maybe I should go get my hoodie out of my locker. Now I’m glad I didn’t decide to put more make-up on. 

“Thanks.”

“I guess someone is feeling better?” She closes her locker and turns to me.

“What do you mean?” 

“You seemed to be in some kind of a funk all last week. I’m just glad to see you acting like your old self again. And you really do look nice.”

I feel bad for my mood last week. I didn’t realize it was so obvious. We start walking to our classes and my nerves start to get the better of me. When I walk into the classroom I fight the urge to look at him and keep my eyes on the floor in front of me as I walk to my seat. I set my books down and get ready. Finally I pull out my journal and doodle in it until class starts. 

“I hope everyone did their reading because we are going to have a pop quiz.” Mr. Hinsley walks around his desk and hands a stack of papers to the guy sitting in the front row. 

Everyone groans and complains. I think that is a clear no. I finally take the time to look up at Mr. Hinsley. His hair is perfectly placed like always. He is in his usual school attire of dress pants, button up shirt, and a sweat over it. When he is like this it is hard to picture the sexy tattoo covered guy I cuddled with yesterday.

I am given my quiz and I focus on it. I let the questions about Fanny Price and her family distract me from my nerves. Unfortunately the quiz doesn’t take long and Mr. Hinsley gets up in front of the class again. During the class discussion he never calls on me. He doesn’t even look at me once. My chest starts to tighten. Is he ignoring me? Of course not. We talked about this. He is just doing what he always does. But I can’t deny that now it feels different, maybe because I know it is intentional. It seems to be a new form of torture. 

When class is over a part me expects him to call me over or at least hopes he will. But he doesn't. He sits back down and gets on his computer. I try not to be in a negative mood the rest of the morning but it's hard. 

"What's the occasion?" Chase asks as he sits down at the lunch table. 

I look up at him confused for a minute before realizing he is talking about my clothes. 

"Nothing, I just actually got up with plenty of time to get ready." I laugh. I mean it's not a lie. "And the only difference is I'm not wearing a hoodie."

"True. But you just seem...I don't know, damn, just take the compliment." He laughs.

"See I told you you look good today!" Brittany adds. 

Elliot is the only one at the table who hasn't commented on my outfit today and for once I'm thankful for his quietness. When I am done eating I take out my journal and waste some time until the bell rings. 

The rest of the school day goes by just as it does everyday, nothing new or different. Some people would be disappointed but for me I am relieved. I have been stressing over nothing. The only change was my thoughts and feelings in Mr. Hinsley's class. Our actions however were just like they were all last semester. This will be easier than I thought. The hard part will be waiting for the next four and a half months to pass.

At the end of the day I consider going to visit him in his room but I know I shouldn't. So I walk with Brittany and Elliot out to the parking lot. As soon as I get in my car I crank up the heat. Why does it have to be so cold? While I wait for my car to warm up I check my phone. There is an old text from Alex’s number. A huge grin spreads across my face when I read it. 

You look beautiful today! Watching you walk out of my room without getting to tell you good morning was very difficult. -A.H.

As I am reading it another text comes through.

Can I see you sometime this week? After seeing you at school but not talking I don't know if I can wait til the weekend. Drive safe. -A.H.

I look up at his car. He is wearing that sexy smirk as he reverses out of his parking spot. I can’t stop smiling. He did notice me this morning in class. His compliment makes everyone else’s comments about my clothes today worth it! I drive home thinking about what he asked. I can’t wait to see him again and I agree this weekend feels like forever away. When I get home I dump my bag on my bed and text him back before starting my homework. 

You mean seeing me in class every morning isn’t enough? -S

When it comes to seeing you, no time is enough. -A.H.

I hope you don’t mind Cassie giving me your number. -A.H.

Of course not. -S

So what are you up to? -A.H. 

Homework -S

I won’t bother you, just let me know if it's possible to spend some time together. -A.H.

Sure, Wednesday? -S

Perfect. My place? -A.H.

I can’t wait. -S

Have a good night Anna -A.H.