Chapter Twenty-Three

I am a little relieved Cassie and James showed up to break the tension a bit but I also really need to know what he is thinking about tomorrow.

“So we have decided we are having a lazy movie day in. I already told your mom you are with me today!” Cassie announces with way too much energy for this early in the morning. “She called me because you didn’t answer her call. I told her you stayed with me last night and we were having a girls day!”

I groan. I hate lying to my parents, but I guess I never could tell them where I really am. I feel Alex’s eyes on me and I’m sure he notices my uneasiness. I grab a donut and try not to think about it. I am actually a little excited to spend the day with Alex. After I finish eating I go to the bedroom to get my phone. It’s dead. I’ll just charge it later I guess. When I come back out Cassie is wrapped up in a blanket on one end of the couch. James is on the floor leaning on the couch right in front of her. Alex is on the other end of the couch with a blanket next to him. 

Why does the simple act of sitting on the couch next to him send my stomach a flutter? I’ve sat next to him before. What am I thinking? Everything has changed since that bus ride. I walk around and sit down on the middle cushion. I hesitate because I’m not sure how close to sit to him. He offers me the blanket and I thank him as we throw it over my lap.

Cassie and James pick a comedy to start off our movie day. I’ve never seen it. I don’t watch a lot of TV or movies. I prefer books in my free time. As I struggle to enjoy the movie I become hyper aware of Alex. His arm rests across the back of the couch behind me. Over time it makes its way lower and stops on my shoulders. His fingers absentmindedly rubbing my arm. I don’t want to stop him. I’m sure he doesn’t even realize what he is doing. The gentle circles of his finger tips are soothing. I find myself closing my eyes and leaning into his side. 

I like this. It's nice and simple and normal. That is until I let my mind drift to tomorrow. What would Brittany and the guys say if they knew? My stomach twists in knots and I instantly know they could never know. It’s too risky.

I try to focus on the rest of the stupid movie to keep from over thinking things. When the movie is finally over Alex gets up. I miss his warmth as soon as he moves. He asks if anyone wants drinks before going into the kitchen. Cassie and James start talking and I can already tell she is head over heels for him. I start to feel awkward so I get up to help Alex with the drinks. 

"Can I help you, Miste…" I stop.

Alex looks at me with one brow raised and a smirk. 

"Sorry it's a habit." I look down, embarrassed.

Once again he lifts my chin to look at him.

"You can call me whatever you feel comfortable with, but I would like you to call me Alex when we are not at school. While we are on the subject, what do you prefer, Savannah or Anna?"

"Everyone calls me Savannah, except Cassie. I guess that one extra syllable was too much for her. To be honest I liked when you called me Anna."

"Then it's settled, at school we are Savannah and Mr. Hinsley and when we are together it's Anna and Alex."

He brushes my hair out of my face and looks down at my lips for a second. I want him to kiss me like he did before but he said we have to take things slow.

"I am nervous." It comes out without meaning to and like a sigh.

He pulls away, putting more space between us. 

"Nervous about what?"

"School. It's going to be different. How do I act 'normal'?" A ask, trying to keep eye contact and not look away in embarrassment again. Why do I feel so unsure of myself?

"We will act the same way we always do. You have it easy, you are supposed to pay attention and stare at me. I have to stand in the front with everyone looking at me and not stare at you or show favoritism."

I hadn't really thought of it that way. I try to hold back a smile but it is impossible. 

"We can worry about school tomorrow. Today I want to just relax and get to know you a little more. I'm not going to lie, it's hard to keep my hands off of you." 

"I know what you mean." I smile at his smirk.

"You mean you didn't get enough touching, tracing my tattoos all night?" I love how at ease he seems today. 

"Its probably a good thing you had your shirt on during that stupid movie. I would much rather have memorized your tattoos than watch it."

He steps closer and wraps his arms around my waist. 

"I never said we couldn't touch, just that we had to take things slow. I want to hug you and cuddle you and if you are comfortable with it I'd love to share my bed with you again in the future. Just like last night, nothing more."

"I want all of that too. I know this isn't how a normal relationship starts but I like you a lot and I want to get to know you better too. I am usually a slow pace person. You met me on an unusual night, but I'm glad you did. I was so ashamed of my behavior that night I wanted to just forget all about it. But I couldn't...you literally haunted my dreams for weeks after." 

"What's taking so…" James walks into the kitchen. He stops when he sees Alex with his arms wrapped around me. "Nevermind." He backs out of the room with a grin on his face.