Chapter Thirty-One

Alex opens his front door and let's me in. It feels like forever since I've been here but it's actually only been three days. I sit down on the couch. He's already changed clothes and assignments are on the table ready for him to grade. I really like how comfortable we have gotten over the past month. 

Alex sits down next to me but instead of picking up his work like I expect him to he pushes the hair out of my face. I look up at him and smile.

"You seem distracted today." He strokes my cheek.

I think about the drama that was Valentine's Day, the guilt I feel for not spending enough time with my friends, and most importantly the two envelopes burning a hole in my bag all day. I decide to start with telling him what Brittany told me about the rose left on my desk. 

"...so he put it on my desk by mistake." I finish telling him.

He wraps his arm around me and pulls me to his chest. 

"It's a relief to know some guy isn't out there pining away for my girl." He confesses in a teasing tone, his breath on my neck. 

"Did you have a good time yesterday?" He asks.

I smile thinking about the great time I had.

"Yeah, I did. I got some new clothes and we saw some stupid action movie I'm sure James would love." I tell him laughing. 

"I'm glad."

"I missed you though."

"I missed you too."

My fingers trace his tattoo of a sword with roses wrapped around it. It's one of my favorites on his arm. Alex closes his eyes and relaxes as my gentle touch soothes him. He loves it when I do this. Especially when I trace the ones on his chest. 

"So…" I start but hesitate.

He moves us so I am sitting up more and we are facing each other. I'm nervous. Unable to tell him, I reach down into my bag and pull out the two envelopes. His eyes scan them and go wide. My heart is racing. Then he looks at me confused.

"You haven't opened them yet?" He asks.

"They just arrived yesterday and I was too nervous to open them….will you?" My anxieties are going crazy, my heart is beating out of my chest. 

He just nods and opens both before reading them to himself. When he is done he turns the first one around to me; I didn't get in. My eyes start to water. Then he turns the other one around; accepted.

"So which one was your dream school?" He asks me but I'm sure he already knows by my reaction.

"Harvard." I sigh.

He hugs me and just lets me quietly take it in. I have wanted to go there for so long. It's a good thing I kept it a secret so no one outside of Alex and my parents will know I didn't get in. 

"I get Harvard, it's an ivy league school and all but why Berkeley?" He asks.

"Harvard and Berkeley are the top two schools in the country in Anthropology." 

"Anthropology? Is that what you've decided to major in?" He seems surprised and impressed, it's gratifying to know he of all people doesn't think I'm crazy.

"Yeah. You know I love to read. But I don't want to be a teacher or writer or editor. I do however love to read a book and not only experience what the author has created but I love seeing how people think and view things and deal with things. I enjoy seeing characters develop and know their reasoning for their actions." I stop my ramblings. "Sorry. I'm sure you know what I mean. I don't have to explain to you." 

He has a huge grin on his face and I can't tell but he might be holding back a laugh.

"What?" I blush.

"Nothing. You are beautiful when you talk like that, with passion. I love hearing how your mind works." 

My heart skips a beat when I hear the word love. I know it's not the same but it affects me either way. 

We both go quiet and I cuddle back into his chest. I drift off to sleep, having finally shed the stress of the day.