Chapter Fifteen

"I'm so glad you decided to come!" Cassie says to me for the hundredth time.

She knew I would say yes before I did. She even had an outfit picked out and everything. I was relieved to see the long sleeve, sweater dress she picked out for me. The knee high boots, not so much, but I can't deny it looks good. It's a lot more me than the dress she put me in for the homecoming masquerade.

"And like I said before, if you change your mind about meeting this James guy, it's ok. We will just have fun, the two of us! I'll even kiss you at midnight if you want." She laughs and squeezes my arm. "I can't believe we haven't found him yet."

Parties, especially college parties aren't my thing but I needed a distraction. I can't stop obsessing over Mr. Hinsley and its absurd! I want him to notice me but then I remind myself he is my teacher and that my thoughts are not right. So I am trying to distract myself by feeding my curiosity about Alex. Or is it James? I guess after tonight we will find out.

"You grab us some more drinks and I will ask around again."

I roll my eyes as she walks off. I seriously don't know who wants to find this guy more, me or Cassie. She says it's because this is the first guy I've ever been interested in. If only she knew. Stop it! I make my way into the kitchen. I grab a bottle of some fruity alcohol drink for Cassie and a regular Coke for myself. I'm sure they are more for making mixed drinks but I don't care, I am not drinking tonight. I drove to make sure Cassie didn't pressure me into it once she started drinking.

"He's here!" Cassie comes barreling through the crowd back to me.

My chest tightens and my anxiety skyrockets. Without thinking I fix my hair and pull my dress down. I can't even get a word in before Cassie grabs my hand and pulls me through the crowd. We approach a couple of guys standing around with red solo cups in their hands. My eyes instantly find the guy with dark hair. I try to search his face for any recognition. The other guy says hi and introduces us.

"Oh yeah, James, this is my friend, Cassie, that I was telling you about. And this is..."

"Anna?" James asks.

Cassie and her friends backed away saying something about privacy. I'm going to kill her. I would have liked her to stay.

"It's Savannah actually, but I go by Anna sometimes." I tell him.

"That might be why I had such a hard time finding you." He smiles.

Something tells me this isn't right.

"And your name is..James?" I start fishing for answers.

He puts his hands in his pockets and his face reads guilt.

"Why did you tell me your name was Alex?" I ask, irritation obvious in my voice.

"Ok, first I'm not the guy you met at the party." he confesses.

I knew it! It just didn't feel right.

"So I'm not the girl you are looking for?" I am so confused.

"No, I mean you are! You met Alex at the party. He told me about you. I wanted to find you and see if you wanted to see him again."

What?

"And why couldn't he look for me himself?"

"He was just visiting for the party and doesn't go here. I'm just trying to help him out."

As odd as the story is, it makes more sense than anything I came up with when I found out his name was James.

"Here is his number. Do with it whatever you want. You can text or call him. Or you can completely forget about all of this and throw it in the trash. But I'm hoping since you tracked me down here you will get a hold of him." He hands me a piece of paper with a phone number scribbled on it.

"Thanks. My friend actually tracked you down. I don't go here either, which is another reason you couldn't find me." I tell him, omitting where I go to school.

"Will you think about it? Calling him that is."

"I'll think about it. Won't it be weird after all this time? We hung out once, like two months ago."

I smile at Cassie as she walks back over to us.

"I don't know. All I do know is it is rare for anyone to peak his interest and when he told me all about you I knew I had to try and find you. It's worth a try right?"

Cassie gives me a confused look and I can't help but laugh at her. I explain to her what is going on and she starts jumping up and down.

"So we figured out the issue with the name AND found the guy. Or at least got his number!! I am so excited for you!" She cheers.

Yep she is definitely more excited about all this than me.