Chapter Thirty-Seven

To say our relationship is a normal one will never be a true statement but for the past month or so it has been pretty damn close for us. I have learned to use my time more wisely. I spend time with my friends and my parents more like I used to before I started seeing Alex. I spend every wednesday and thursday after school with Alex. Sometimes we get to spend some time together on the weekends but those are usually only with the help of Cassie and James. It’s the end of March and Alex’s birthday is tomorrow. 

I walk with Brittany through the halls to first period. As I walk through the door I smile at him and he nods a hello as other students follow me into the classroom. As the bell rings Mr. Hinsley stands in front of the class.

“Since we have two months left in the year I would like to remind anyone who signed up for tutoring we begin tomorrow after school in this room.”

“Shit!” 

The word flies out of my mouth before I have a moment to realize it. Most of the class turns to me and I nearly fold in on myself at the embarrassment. I hear a giggle or two. I look up at Mr. Hinsley who’s one eyebrow is raised and a smirk is on the edge of his lips. 

“Miss Thomson please see me after class.” he says in his stern, teacher voice. 

This pulls the class’ attention back to him and he starts the lesson he had planned for the day. When class is over I take my time gathering my things before walking up to his desk. 

“Can you explain your outburst in class please?” 

He walks around the desk and leans back on it. His hands one each side of him holding the edge of the desk as they support his weight. I don’t even have to see his arms to picture the ink stained muscles flexing. I have to stop myself from drooling at the thought. He clears his throat, bringing me back to reality. 

“I was surprised. I didn’t realize tutoring started back up tomorrow. I know you told me but I guess I just didn't realize it was...tomorrow.”

“Is that a problem?”

“Besides it being your birthday and I had hoped to spend the evening cuddled up with you and a delicious dinner for two at your place...no not at all.” I am upset and it’s not even my birthday.

“I see. I thought it might be because you were upset that our weekly hangouts would no longer be a thing.”

The thought hadn’t even crossed my mind yet. I want to cry. 

“Well that too.”

“We knew this day would come. We will figure out a way to spend time together. And we have our little walks to look forward to.” He smiles at me.

I fake a smile. He is just trying to reassure me. 

“Here is a pass, get to class. We can talk about this more later.”

I fight the urge to hug and kiss him goodbye. I turn and walk out the door. 

My depressed mood doesn’t get any better during the school day. I pack my bag and shut my locker glad the day is over and I can go home to wallow. I walk outside and sigh at the sight of snow still on the ground. Please for the love of God warm up already! When I reach my car I am surprised to find Elliot waiting for me. When he sees me he smiles as his hands grip tighter on his backpack straps. 

“Hey what’s up?” 

He looks down at his shuffling feet before taking a deep breath and looking back up at me. 

“I know there is only three weeks until prom...I was wondering if you would like to go with me?” Was Elliot blushing? “I mean as friends of course.” he is back peddling and I know it.