Chapter Forty-Six

~Alex Hinsley POV~

I’ve been home for over an hour, just staring at this damn bottle of whiskey. It has been my routine all week. But I promised her I wouldn’t drink when I get upset like I used to. So all week I’ve just sat here looking at the unopened bottle, fighting the urge. 

All week I have watched her slowly fade away. I have tried to talk to her but she won’t. The confusion really turned to hurt when Mr. Smith informed me she wasn’t tutoring anymore. But the fuckin’ cherry on the cake was this morning when I saw her kiss him. 

But where is she? She didn’t show up for class today, even though I know I saw her in the hallway. I won’t deny the relief I felt when I saw Elliot in class. At least wherever she is it’s not with him. However, she did kiss him. I saw it. I knew this would happen. They are close friends, the same age, hang out and go to the movies together. He always had the winning hand over me. 

My head snaps to the door when I hear a knock. I can’t stop the hope that it might be Anna. I hurry to the door. I don’t even mess with putting a sweater or anything on over my t-shirt. My hope is crushed when I see her.

“Well, are you going to invite me in?” She asks.

I step to the side and let her in. 

“What are you doing here, Emily?” I ask, too tired to play nice. 

“Can’t I drop in and visit with a friend. Especially one who hasn’t been returning my calls.” She takes off her jacket and sits down on the couch. 

I run my fingers through my hair and take a seat in the chair.

“Sorry, it’s been a long week.”

“Bad week at work? I would think with the year almost over it would be less stressful.” 

“I guess, still have finals and graduation to deal with.” 

“So, I talked to your mom last week. She told me you're seeing someone.” She is fishing, she wants to know more about Anna.

I drop my head back and look up at the ceiling. 

“I take it by your silence…maybe things aren’t going so well.” 

I don’t want to talk about this right now. I get up and walk into the kitchen. I open the cabinet and grab two glasses. On my way back to the living room I grab the unopened bottle I’ve been staring at for days. I put the glasses down on the table and open the whiskey.

“That bad huh?” She asks.

“You can stay and drink or you can leave. I’m not talking about it, so if you want gossip you can just go.”

“Damn, she’s really done a number on you.”

I glare at her and she puts up her hands. 

“Ok, so if that topic is off the table what would you like to talk about?”

I down my first glass and pour another. I just sit back and listen to her ramble on about who knows what. This is going to be a long night. I adore Emily but I am not in the mood for any kind of company. My phone goes off and I walk to the kitchen table where I left it. I don’t hurry, I gave up hope of hearing from her days ago. Every text left unreplied and every call goes straight to voicemail. When I see it’s just a text from James I sigh. First Emily, now James. I open it.

I just saw Anna…we need to talk. -J

My adrenaline kicks in from that one simple text. As I try to text back the letters blur. Fuck!

Where is she? Did you talk to her? -A.H.

She is here. I think you should come talk to her -J

My first thought is I have to go. FUCK! I can’t drive, I can barely text, thank God for auto correct. 

Can’t. Been drinking -A.H.

Shit. well I think she is staying with Cass so sober up and get here -J

I’ll let you know when I head that way -A.H.

I can’t stop myself from pacing. Ok, I need food. That helps sober you up right? I’m just glad I’ve only had three glasses. Emily comes stumbling in the room. 

“What are you doing?” she slurs at me. 

Well at least I hold my liquor better than she does. 

“I have to go see James, so I’m trying to sober up.” I tell her. “I think you should go lay down.”

I help her walk down the hallway to the guest room. 

“James is seeing someone too.” She pouts at me. “Both of you have found someone and left me behind, all alone.” 

I roll my eyes at her drunk ass.

“You will find someone special too.” I go along as I put her to bed.

“What if I don’t want to find someone? What if I already found him?” She’s looking up at me with sad eyes.

“Em, if you confess your love for me in this drunken state I just might have to take advantage of you.” I tease her.

“Eww, you wish. Sorry but I’m not into older guys.”

I grab my chest like she’s wounded me. I smile at her. I realize it’s probably the first time I’ve truly smiled all week. She cuddles into the blankets and I try to hide my shock when I hear her mumble something about “James on the other hand.” 

I head back to the kitchen and eat some leftover pasta I wasn’t able to stomach earlier in the week. I go to my room and lay down. Some rest will do me some good if I’m going to sober up and drive all the way out to State campus. I set an alarm and drift off to all the thoughts of what and whys.