Chapter Thirty-Five

I sit on the couch with Cassie. We listen to the guys bicker while they are supposed to be making dinner. Cassie puts her glass of wine on the table and turns to me.

“So what happened earlier?” She asks, concerned. 

She has said sorry a hundred times over the past few hours. I know she feels horrible for leaving me.

“Well we started to argue about Elliot and everything that happened last night. Then things got a little heated…”

“He didn’t hurt you?” She cut me off.

“No, do you really think I’d be sitting here right now if he hurt me? Alex wouldn’t do that. It’s kind of creepy how much you and Hunter think alike. But I meant heated like...sexually.” I whisper the last word.

Her eyes grew bigger and she held back a giggle. 

“Anyway! Somehow my virginity became the topic and, I don’t know, things were said, I was hurt and confused, and just needed to leave. Once I was outside I remembered you drove me here and it was, call you and have to explain everything or call Hunter and hope he didn’t ask questions.”

“He asked questions.” 

I nod and take a drink of my water. 

“So what did you tell him?” She asks.

“I told him I was seeing someone and we got into an argument. I just left out the fact that he is also my British Literature teacher. He actually gave me some good advice and ended up bringing me back to talk to Alex.”

“I will have to thank him some day.” Alex says from the kitchen entryway. 

I blush as I smile up at him. I didn’t realize he was listening. 

“Dinner will be ready in five minutes.” He tells us over his shoulder as he walks back into the kitchen. 

I turn back to Cassie and she has a big grin on her face. 

“What?” I ask.

“Can we please skip back to the part about your virginity?” She smirks.

“No, I’ve already had to go through that topic today.” My blush is warm on my cheeks and I start to stand up. 

Cassie grabs my wrist and pulls me back to the couch. This time she holds back the smirk and says sorry.

“Just tell me are you still…” she whispers to me. 

I roll my eyes and sigh. I stand, pulling her up with me, to head into the kitchen.

“Yes.” I quietly sigh.

“What’s wrong with her?” James asks as we walk in and find our seats.

I look over at Cassie and she looks like she is in shock. I roll my eyes again. Why is this news so surprising to everyone? Hell if everyone wants to talk about it fuck it!

“She just learned I’m still a virgin.” I throw it out there.

I hear Alex spit out his drink and start coughing. Cassie just looks at me like I’ve grown a second and third head. James leans back in his chair and fills the apartment with his loud laughter. 

“Ok I did not expect that.” James howled through his laughter.

I look at Alex and he is looking at me just like Cassie. 

“I’m sorry, was I supposed to keep it a secret?”

“I hope not.” James says, trying to calm down. “Because if you’re that bad at keeping secrets your guys’ relationship is screwed.”