Chapter Twenty-Nine

I would rather hide under my covers for the day but I know I can’t so here I am. I shove my coat into my locker and close it. I walk over to Brittany trying not to gag at the sight of all the flowers and crap being passed around. 

“That’s cool, did you just get it?” Brittany pulls my attention away from the red and pink carnage around us. “I’ve never seen you wear it.”

I grab my locket and wrap the chain around my finger. 

“Uh, yeah. I just got it, thanks.” I look at the time and we head for class. 

As much as I’m dreading this day I have made it a habit to be one of the first people in class. Sometimes I am the only one in there and we get to share a distant good morning. When I walk in the classroom door I am happy to see this is one of those days. No one else is in the room. He doesn’t look up at me which is odd. So I continue on to my seat. When I look at my desk my chest explodes with joy. I hurry over and pick up the single rose sitting on my desk. Other students start filing in so I am unable to thank him for it. I bring it to my nose and smell it while I wear a ridiculous grin on my face. A lot of the other girls are showing off their flowers and gifts and I would be miserable if it weren’t for my own single red rose. When class is over I want to thank him but he is talking with another student and I don’t want anyone to overhear. 

Today hasn’t been as bad as I thought it would be. I am sketching my locket in my journal when Brittany and the guys sit down at the lunch table. I shut it. Brittany is looking at me with a huge grin on her face and I know nothing good comes from that. 

“Sooo...I heard someone got a rose today.” she shared.

“What? Who told you that?” Everyone looks at me and I try to hide my concern.

“Sam is in your first period class and she told me you had a rose in class and I know for a fact you didn’t have one when you went into the classroom. So did someone in first period give it to you?” She questions me.

“It was on my desk when I got to class.” I tell her, it’s the truth. 

“So you don’t know who it’s from. You’re not seeing someone and didn’t tell me? OH MY GOD you have a secret admirer.” She is practically yelling in the cafeteria and I have to shush her. 

I don’t know what to tell her. I can’t tell her who it’s from and I don’t want to lie to her and make up some fictional person. I decide to not answer at all.

“That’s it, I'm right. You have a secret admirer. Who could it be?” 

She rambles on and I try to tune out her craziness. Chase and Elliot seem to be just as quiet which makes me happy. The last thing I need is those two feeding her grand illusions. 

Later at home, I decide to hang my rose to dry instead of letting it wilt away in a vase. I lay on my bed, fiddling with my necklace. I told Cassie about it earlier when she called as she got ready for her date. I also told her about the rose. I never thanked him for it. I grab my phone and text him.

Thank you so much for the rose. Sorry I didn’t say anything sooner. -S

He always replies quickly so it surprises me when he doesn’t reply for several minutes. 

I didn’t leave you the rose. -A.H.

What do you mean? -S

I am stunned.

I didn’t give you the rose. I left the room to make some copies and when I returned it was there. I won’t lie, I considered getting rid of it. -A.H.

But if it’s not from you then who put it there? -S

I look at the rose hanging on my wall with confusion. 

I don’t know. Part of me hoped it was a mistake and meant for someone else. But no one said anything. And you looked so happy to get it. -A.H.

I was happy because I thought it was from you. So I guess Brit was right, I have some kind of secret admirer. -S

Should I be concerned? -A.H.

Is someone jealous? -S

Someone gave my girlfriend a rose on Valentine's Day… -A.H.

My heart skips a beat when I read girlfriend. It's not the first time we've used the words but it's so rare it still gets to me. 

Don't worry babe, even when I thought the rose was from you it didn't beat your present from last night. -S

I noticed you wearing it today! It's getting late. Good Night and Happy Valentine's Day -A.H

Goodnight and Happy Valentine's Day -S

I put my phone on the charger and wrap up in my blanket. I look over at the rose and wonder who put it on my desk, did they mean to give it to me, if they did what do I do about it?!