Chapter Forty-Nine

I have spent most of the past two weeks trying to distract myself with school work. It hasn’t helped much. Everything Hunter brought up about the future has been running through my head and driving me crazy. Then there’s living with two parents I refuse to have a conversation with and who don’t trust me. Add in the fact that I have spent every lunch sitting alone because I refuse to sit at the same table as Elliot. Brittany and Chase have no idea what is going on between the two of us. I’m sure they know Elliot likes me and I didn’t reciprocate the feelings. But Brittany was shocked I was taking it this far. They know there is more to it but aren’t getting in the middle of it. It’s not like I can explain it to them so I just have been keeping my distance. 

So it has been a miserable and lonely two weeks. I just keep telling myself there are only two more weeks until I leave all of this behind. I sit in Mr. Hinsley’s class doodling and writing in my journal. When class starts I spend every chance I can to stare at him. This is my one pleasure that gets me through the day. As he finishes up the lesson he looks at me.

“Savannah, can you please stay after?” He informs me less than asks.

I look at him confused. He knows that is a risk we have agreed not to take. He sighs. 

“Chris, please stay after as well.” He adds. 

Ok now I am really confused. I guess he just wants to talk about school stuff and having another student in the room shows we aren’t sneaking around. I silently nod my head. I pack up my things like everyone else and wait for the bell. My classmates leave the room the first chance they get. Chris sits back in his chair with earbuds in as I make my way up to Mr. Hinsley’s desk. 

“Yes, sir?” 

“I just got the senior list with everyone’s college choices. Why does it say State next to your name?” He asks with a stern voice. 

I look down at the floor and fiddle with my fingers in my hoodie pocket. I can tell by the look in his eyes he isn't happy about this. I don’t know why though. It makes complete sense to me.

“Let me rephrase my question. We both know you got into a much better school, one of your top choices, so why is it not listed?”

I can feel my cheeks burning. Why is he making a big deal out of this, here and now. I can’t explain to him why. I can’t say I finally decided on State because it means I can stay here close to him. Not when Chris is in the room and Elliot could be checking in on us. He removes his glasses and rubs his eyes before putting them back on.

“Savannah.” He sighs. “I would strongly advise you to reconsider. You can’t waste such a great opportunity like this. Not many people get into one of their top choice schools with scholarships.”

I am so dumbfounded by this I don’t know what to say. I just stand there. He tells me to get to my next class and calls Chris up. I spend the rest of the day lost in confusion. Does he not want me to stay? Maybe all this time apart has made him rethink our relationship. Since he could still get fired even after graduation…does he want to stop seeing each other? Great now I have more shit to stress over!

I am so deep in thought I don’t notice Brittany until she says something and I jump. 

“Sorry I didn’t mean to sneak up on you.” Brittany apologizes.

“It’s ok I wasn’t paying attention.” I smile at her. 

“So are you going to sit with us today? We’ve missed you!” She expressed.

“No. I miss you and even Chase but as long as Elliot is around I won’t be.” I state.

“But why?! I don’t understand. What happened between you two that would cause you to abandon all of your friends? And at the end of our senior year. We only have two weeks left until school is over and we all go our separate ways.” 

I feel guilty. She is right. I miss hanging out with my friends. And the reminder that the year is almost over and then we will all be forced to “go our separate ways” is quickly approaching doesn’t help my mood. If I do what Mr. Hinsley told me this morning then I would be moving halfway across the country to Berkeley in just a few months. 

“I don’t want to talk about it. We are no longer friends and that’s just all there is to it. I wish we could all be together and enjoying the end of senior year as a group but…it is what it is. I’m sorry.” I tell her, unsure what to say. 

“Fine. I have to get to lunch, the guys will be looking for me.” She storms off. 

Now she is mad at me. If only she knew what he did to me, maybe she would have my side. Or maybe she would agree with Elliot. How did all of this get so out of hand?