Chapter Twenty-Two

When I wake up it takes a second to remember where I’m at. I look over at a sleeping Alex. I didn’t think it was possible but he looks even better when he is sleeping peacefully. I reposition myself. I check to make sure I didn’t wake him before climbing out of his bed. I go into the other room and put my tank-top and pants back on and use the bathroom. The living room is empty. I grab my phone and text Cassie.

Where are you? -S

James and I went to get breakfast. Be back soon. -C

I walk into the kitchen and start searching the cabinets. 

“Can I help you?” 

I jump and turn around to find a sleepy Alex. He is pulling on his shirt. His pants hanging off his hips showing off a deep V. He runs his fingers through his hair as he stretches. He is mouth watering. I have completely forgotten what I was looking for. He looks around.

“Where are James and your friend?” He asks.

“Cassie said they went to get breakfast and should be back soon.”

I lean back on the counter and play with my fingers. Now that I have had some sleep and my mind is more clear I feel nervous standing here alone with him. I don’t know what to say. I don’t want to do or say the wrong thing and I feel unsure. I know he said he wanted to see where this goes but what if he changes his mind. He is risking a lot. 

I don’t notice his approach until he pushes the hair from my face and lets his fingers run down my bare arms. Leaving goosebumps in their trail. 

“Good Morning. Did you sleep well?” He asks.

“Never better.” I smile at him.

He looks down at me and my heart flutters. I have to remind myself to breathe.

"What are you thinking? I can see the wheels turning." 

"No you can't."

"I have watched you concentrate enough in class to know." He smirks.

I like knowing he has noticed things about me. It makes me feel like I wasn't the only one feeling this attraction over the past few weeks or maybe even months. 

I start to think about school tomorrow and my anxieties start to rise. He is still looking at me waiting for a reply.

"I guess I was afraid you would wake up and change your mind."

He sighs as he takes a step back. He starts talking as he pulls a mug from the cabinet and starts pouring a cup of coffee.

"I won't lie to you, a part of me thinks this is a terrible idea. It breaks the number one rule as a teacher. After only a year and a half of teaching I'd be risking it all….did you want something to drink?" 

"A glass of water, please." 

After he gets me a glass of water we sit down across from each other at the small table. 

"The truth is, I don't really date. I usually don't sleep around either. That's why you and what happened at that party was...different. James has been known to ask me if I am gay many times over the years because of my lack of women. I think it's also why he felt the need to look for you afterwards. After a month I told him to just stop...you actually walked in on that conversation if I remember correctly."

I start to blush as I remember walking in on him on the phone. 

"So here I was trying to forget about this amazing, sexy woman I met once while at the same time starting to think about this annoying student more and more." He smiles as he teases me. "I didn't think you were the right fit for tutoring. You are always so quiet and uninterested in class. I figured you were just one of those kids that knows just enough and BS's the rest of the way to a perfect score." 

I start to say something but he just smiles and puts up his hand. 

"That is until I saw you with Becky and Ashley. I noticed how smart you really are. You not only knew the reading but could explain it and help them to understand. I wasn't lying when I said you could be a teacher someday if you wanted."

"I always secretly looked forward to our little talks after the tutor sessions." 

"There were times I wanted to just say it is time to leave because I wanted to discuss something. That's when I started to notice my feelings towards you were going beyond the classroom." 

"Yeah, I started to see you differently in class too."

We just smile at each other. It's a nice quiet moment. 

"I also knew sitting next to you on the bus was risky." He says as he takes another drink of coffee. 

"I'm glad you did." But my smile slips when I think about how that trip went. 

"But when I saw you at the pool….in your white swimsuit, hair dripping wet, and on that guy's shoulders. I knew I was in deep shit. I instantly felt jealous and the disturbing thought that I didn't want anyone between your legs but me. Made me realize I needed to stay away from you."

I remember back to sitting on Elliot's shoulders while Mr. Hinsley came in to tell us all to go to our rooms. I try to see it from his point of view. I know there is no reason to but I feel guilty.  

"Then I watched you collapse, barely missing a table. I was terrified. Then I saw your tattoo, to say I was shocked would be an understatement. I was confused, then angry. I got it in my head that you knew all along and were messing with me. That is until I saw the look on your face yesterday. In a way that also made me mad. Not at you but at James for blindsiding me like that and myself for assuming you knew anything." 

I remember how nauseous I felt at that moment. 

"I had decided to push you away and forget everything. But when you came at me yelling and telling me how you felt about me, you started to get to me. I came home and poured a couple glasses of whiskey to help forget before I did something I said I wouldn't." He laughs at himself. "James would talk to me about you while intoxicated. But I'm glad I agreed to invite you over to talk."

"I was so hurt and confused by your distance and anger the past week. When I saw you yesterday I was shocked and then all the pieces started to fall into place. I was a mess and very nervous to come here. But I needed answers. Preferably before school tomorrow. What about tomorrow?"

Before he can answer Cassie and James come in the front door with a large box of donuts.