Chapter Thirty-Three

When I get home the house is dark besides the TV. I shut the door and slip off my shoes. Hunter is on the couch playing video games. 

"Hey, Mom put leftovers in the fridge if you're hungry." Hunter says, his eyes never leaving the screen.

"I'm actually just tired but thanks! Is Cassie here?" 

"Yeah, we got back late so she decided to crash in your room."

"Ok, goodnight!"

"Night."

I walk in my room, hoping Cassie isn't asleep yet. The sound of her light snoring tells me no such luck. I change and slide into my bed next to her. I roll around, trying to get comfortable. Tons of scenarios running through my mind keep me awake. I toss and turn more. It takes hours for me to finally fall asleep. 

I am rudely awakened. I groan and swing at whoever just jumped on my bed. 

"Whoa, is that what I get for bringing you breakfast?" Cassie shouts at me.

I breathe in the delicious aroma of fresh coffee. I open my eyes and see Cassie holding coffee and a turnover. I sit up and I grab the mug on my bedside table. After I get my caffeine intake I grab my turnover off the plate. 

"Ok now that you are awake. What the hell happened last night? I have like ten missed calls from James last night and a text saying we need to go to Alex's place. And when I tried to call, I got no answer from him. So eat, explain, and then we are going to head over there."

Cassie looks concerned but not upset. I take another drag of my coffee before telling her about the events of last night.

"So we go and find out who this woman is. Get dressed." Cassie says as she stands up and takes the dirty dishes away. 

I throw the covers off and get myself ready. I'm putting on my shoes when she comes back into my room. 

"Hunter is watching college basketball all day with your dad so we are good to go!"

As we drive to Alex’s apartment my nerves start getting the best of me. I don’t know why I am so nervous. I am going to Alex’s, which I’ve done countless times before. Deep down a small part of me wonders if she is there, if she stayed the night. Were they physical? We haven’t been, we can’t be...did he cheat because he couldn’t wait? I have to stop. I trust Alex. He is risking so much to be with me. He wouldn’t ruin it just for a lay...would he? Is she more than that? Stop, stop, stop. Before I can’t think of any more crazy ideas we arrive at his apartment. 

We knock on the door. I can’t help but compare this to the first time we came here. Just like then, James opens the door. He runs his fingers through his hair and opens the door farther to let us in. 

“Sorry I didn’t get your calls last night but I got your text when I woke up. I called but you didn’t answer.” Cassie tells James. 

He seems a little surprised by her cold greeting but continues on. We move into the living room.

“Yeah it was a long night. I just woke up when you knocked. Please sit.” He says.

“Anna told me she ran into you guys at the movies last night. What else happened?” Cassie asked.

I want to ask about the woman but I can tell Cassie knows what she is doing and will get there. I know her well enough to know she is holding back. I am also very aware that Alex isn’t with us. Did he go home with her? Before I can think more on the subject James replies. 

“Well after we ran into Savannah and her ‘date’ we watched a movie. I was a little surprised to not see you with her.” He starts. 

“I was supposed to be there but we got stuck in traffic and missed it. I didn’t know the three of you were going to be there.” she spit back, starting to lose her cool.