Chapter Forty-Two

I startle awake as I feel Alex's strong arms lift me up off the couch. I wiggle my way into his chest and with eyes closed, smile up at him. It's been the perfect quiet day together. I'm not surprised I fell asleep watching that movie. He gently lays me down in his bed and covers me. A smile creeps across my face as I watch him undress before climbing into bed with me. He pulls me onto his chest.

"I love you." I say barely a whisper.

I don't know if he heard me but I feel like I needed to say it. It's something that I've been wanting to say but afraid to say it. After a moment I feel him let out a long breath.

"I love you too." He whispers back, kissing me on the top of my head as I drift off to sleep.

-------------

I awake to my phone going off. I groan and rub the sleep from my eyes. Alex, still asleep, pulls me back to him as I try to get up. I get out of bed and walk into the living where my phone stops ringing. I pick it up and read the time. It's 9am, who's calling me this early on a Sunday? I find five missed calls from my mom. That's not normal. I start to panic. Before I can call her back I get a text simply saying get home asap. I hurry back into the bedroom and get dressed. I try not to wake Alex. Once I'm back out in the living room I gather my things and leave a note for Alex.

The whole drive I am thinking of a million things that could be wrong. My anxiety is skyrocketing. I just hope Hunter and my parents are ok. As I pull into the driveway and don't notice anything off I try to relax but can't. I hurry inside.

"Mom, Dad? I came as soon as I got your text." I yell through the house.

They both walk in from the kitchen and I can barely breathe from the relief.

"What's wrong, what happened?" Flies out of my mouth.

"Let's all sit down." My dad says, ushering us into the living.

My heart sinks.

"Where's Hunter? Is he ok?!" I ask as I take a seat across from them.

"You're brother is fine. We called because we need to talk to you." My mom clarified.

Okay, now I'm confused. I'm too relieved everyone is ok to think straight.

"We need to discuss something that was brought to our attention." My mom says calmly but I can see the aggression behind it. "I don't know how else to say this. You were seen being...physical with your teacher, Mr. Hinsley."

My heart stops. How did...when did..who...I...my brain is officially glitching.

"So you don't deny it?!" She's on the verge of screaming at me.

My dad leans forward on his knees and looks down at the floor.

"What that hell were you thinking?!" And the yelling has begun. "He is a teacher! He should be fired for this..."

"Mom, no!" I finally find my voice. "Punish me but leave him out of it! Please! He could lose his job."

"As he should!" She snaps back at me.

"Dad!" I plead to the only one who hasn't spoken.

He looks up at me and I can see the disappointment all over his face. It makes me want to cry.

"Is this the guy you've been dating?" He simply asks.

I just nod once. I sigh in defeat. He stands up and I know he is fighting the urge to pace.

"Savannah, you are eighteen and old enough to make your own choices." A gleam of hope fills my heart. "However, he is your teacher and this cannot continue. We will agree not to contact the school..." my mothers shock is heard throughout the room. "As long as you end this. It's too late in the school year to transfer you so you will finish the last month and a half and graduate. You will stay away from him and only interact with him in class, nothing else. You will be grounded as well. No computer, cellphone, or going out with friends, because we can no longer trust you. I do not want to discuss your relationship with this man anymore."

He storms out of the room, ending the discussion. My mom, surprised by her usually quieter spouse's outburst, just looks at me. She reaches out her hand.

"Phone." Is all she says.

I hand it to her, shaking, before hurrying off to my room to finally break.