Chapter Four

“Finally!” Brittany shouts. 

“Why do short weeks always feel longer than normal weeks?” Elliot complains. 

“Because you are more anxious for it to end so you think about it more making it seem to take longer.” Chase says.

“That was rhetorical but thanks.” Elliot says, rolling his eyes. 

I just smile as I listen to them banter while getting my bag ready. We say our goodbyes and they head towards the parking lot, while I head to Mr. Hinsley’s room. When I walk in I only find Mr. Hinsley at his desk. 

“Savannah? Shit!” I hear him say under his breath.

It takes me by surprise because I’ve never heard him speak that way before. I just kind of freeze on the spot. 

“I forgot to tell you we are not having a session today because of Thanksgiving Break.” he informs me. 
Of course, why didn’t I think about that? I hesitate, looking up at the clock.

“Is there a problem?” he asks me.

I pull my sleeve down over my hands, this is awkward. I didn’t drive to school today. 

“Can I stay?” I ask, nervous he might not plan to stay.

He looks at me, surprised.

“I didn’t drive today and my ride isn’t here yet.” I add.

He nods. “Sure, prop the door open. I had some work to finish before leaving on break anyway.” 

I open the door and put the doorstop in so it stays open. I sit down at a desk and pull out my cell phone and text Cassie.

Tutoring canceled. come get me -S

I don’t have any homework to do over break so I just pull a book out of my bag. My phone goes off and I look up at Mr. Hinsley, afraid I’ve bothered him. He doesn’t seem to notice. I look at my text.

At store. Be there in 15-20 -C

I sigh. Not what I wanted to hear but I guess it could be worse. I grab my book and start to read. I jump when Mr. Hinsley speaks.

“I am done with my work. When will your ride be here?” He asks.

I look at the clock, it is 3:15.

“She should be here anytime now.” I gather up my things as I see him put on his coat. 

We walk outside together. I am surprised and a little relieved when he stops and waits with me instead of heading to his car. 

“Savannah.” He hesitates. “ I want to thank you for helping tutor the other students. I’m not allowed to discuss students’ grades with other students but you should be proud to know both Ashley and Becky passed their tests.”

“What?!” I squeak in excitement. I can’t stop the smile on my face. 

“The way you simplify things for them and help them without giving them the answers is impressive. I had my doubts in the beginning but I’m glad things have worked out.” 

I get my first ever smile from him and I can’t lie it’s breathtaking. For a split second I almost forget who I am talking to. 

“I know I don’t say much and then I was late to class but I really enjoy reading. I never thought about tutoring until Mr. Smith asked me. I’m glad I agreed to do it.” I confess.

“So, what are you reading?” He asks, pointing down at the book in my hand. 

“Twelfth Night.” I show him the cover.

He doesn’t seem surprised nor does he roll his eyes at me. If anything he looks a little impressed. 

“Getting a head start on next week's reading?” He asks.

“Kind of...I like to be prepared and I know I’ll be busy over break. But this is a favorite of mine so I don’t really need to read it again, I want to.” 

I look down at the ground, knowing I sound like a complete nerd. 

“Is that your ride?” He asks.

My head snaps up and I’ve never been happier to see Cassie’s beat up old car. 

“Yep, thanks for waiting with me.”

“Have a nice Thanksgiving Savannah and sorry for the mix-up.” He waves as he walks to his car. 

I climb into Cassie’s car and put my hands to the heat vents. 

“Who was that?” She asks.

I look up as he pulls out of the parking lot. 

“Mr. Hinsley, the Brit Lit teacher.” I tell her. 

“Where was he at when I was here? He is hot.” she comments as she drives off. 

I shake my head. “Yeah that’s what everyone thought last year until they met him. And he probably was still in school when you were here, or doing some sort of student teaching stuff. He just started teaching last year.” 

“How do you focus in his class?” She laughs. 

“Well first of all he’s a teacher, even if he wasn’t he’s not my type...and he’s a bit of an ass.” Or at least I thought so until recently, I think to myself. 

“Oh I forgot you like them tall, dark, and mysterious, covered in tattoos.” She teases. 

I smack her as my cheeks turn red. I never should have told her what happened at that party. 

“But not me. I like them a bit nerdy...it’s always the quiet ones right?” She wiggles her eyebrows at me.