Chapter Seven

The next day Ashley is still gone but I can't waste another day. So I continue on and start discussing Twelfth Night with Becky. 

"But why would she want to pretend to be a dude?" Becky looks like this is the most repulsive idea ever.

"Well, keep in mind the time period. It was dangerous for women, especially women traveling alone. But also you will see she feels more comfortable opening up and being herself while in disguise."

I can't help but compare this to the masquerade. I have been blaming my actions that night on the alcohol but is there a possibility I chose to act that way because I was safe behind my mask?

At the end of the hour I slowly pack up my stuff. I watch Becky leave and turn to Mr. Hinsley's desk. 

"Uh, Mr. Hinsley."

He shrugs on his coat before looking at me. 

"I just wanted to apologize again, for yesterday. I didn't mean to intrude." 

"It is fine, Savannah. Honestly, I nearly forgot already. Never feel like you can't come to my room." 

He helps ease my nerves. I smile at him.

"Thank you." 

He grabs his things and walks out with me. 

"Have you thought about teaching? You're a natural with the other students."

I hope he doesn't see the blush spreading across my face.

"I don't think so."

"And why's that?" He seems truly interested.

"I guess it's fine one on one tutoring but I could never stand up in front of a whole class and teach." 

I stare at the ground as we walk outside. I pull my coat tighter around my body. 

"Yeah you are pretty quiet." He teases me.

"You're not much of a chatty Cathy yourself and you're a teacher." 

Shocked at my own comment, I look up at him. He is taken aback and he has one eyebrow raised. 

"Chatty Cathy?" He lets out a small laugh. "I guess you're right. But I'm not shy and timid, I just don't speak unless I have something to say."

"I'm not shy and timid!" I try to defend myself.

"You never raise your hand in class. You barely speak up when I do call on you even though we both know you know the answer. The other day when I had you pass out paper you looked as if you were being tortured to do so. And don't forget how you acted yesterday after entering my room unannounced." 

"I...did think anyone noticed." I think out loud. 

We were quiet for a moment. I don't know what to think about his comments.

"Well have a good evening Savannah." He nods and continues on to his car. 

I get in my car and stare out the windshield at nothing before my brain starts to function again. Maybe Mr. Hinsley isn't as bad as everyone thinks, because I know I'm not as "shy and timid" as everyone thinks I am.

As always, I arrive home to an empty house, no letters in the mail, and plenty of homework to do before dinner.

Somehow I find myself thinking about a certain teacher as I fall asleep later that night.