Chapter Thirty-Eight

Besides a Happy Birthday text this morning I haven’t been able to celebrate Alex’s birthday in any way. I didn’t even get the chance in class to say something to him. Every time I open my locker I see his gift and it darkens my mood each time. I am so grateful for school to be over with. I pack my bag and sigh at the sight of his gift shoved inside. I shut my locker and head to Mr. Hinsley’s classroom. I’m a little surprised to find four people already inside with Mr. Hinsley. 

“Great now that everyone is here, we can get started.” He stands from his desk.

How did I end up being the last one here? I’m never late. I feel my cheeks warming up as I take my seat. Mr. Hinsley starts making introductions and explaining how the tutor sessions will go, just like he did the first day last semester. 

“That will be all for today. You are all free to go.” He returns to his desk to gather his things.

I look at the time. We’ve only been in here for roughly fifteen minutes. My chest feels heavy from the sudden excitement. I fight the urge to run out of there. I take my time and follow behind the crowd as everyone leaves. I climb in my car and wait for Mr. Hinsley to drive off first. I’m so excited because we got out early, instead of an hour I will have two and a half hours with Alex! I nearly run into his apartment. As soon as I can I jump on him and wrap my arms around him. 

“Happy Birthday!” I cheer.

He laughs and thanks me before kissing me. He steps away and walks towards the couch. I barely detach myself from him. 

“I know it’s my birthday but if you still need to do homework we can do that before dinner.” 

“Actually, I thought I’d be tutoring for two hours so I did it all last night and in class today, so I wouldn’t have to worry about it tonight.”

“Always the over achiever!” He smiles at me as he pulls me down onto the couch with him.

I cuddle into him. I inhale the scent that is only him. This is my favorite place to be. I push off of him. I'm practically bouncing in my seat with excitement. I reach down and pull his gift out of my bookbag. I can’t stop the smile that is glued to my face. But as I hand him the gift bag my palms start to sweat and my heart starts to race. There is no turning back. 

“You didn’t have to.” For a split second I think he is going to deny my gift. 

“Yes I did! It’s your twenty-fourth birthday and the first I’ve ever been given the pleasure of celebrating!”

I think I see a hint of a blush on his cheek. I nervously watch as he pulls the larger box out of the bag and places it on his lap. I squirm at the thought of what is inside that box. Then he reaches in and pulls out the smaller of the two boxes. Once he sees the bag is empty he places on the floor. He is torturing me with his slow pace and I believe he knows exactly what he is doing. 

“Oh come on! Just open them!” I am so nervous I snap.

He smirks at me and kisses my cheek before he starts to unwrap the smaller box. Once it's unwrapped I know he knows what is inside. He looks at me and the disappointment fractures my heart. 

“This is too much. I can’t accept this.” He says.

“Yes you can because it is my gift to you. Trust me I shopped around and got the best deal and didn’t spend near as much as you might think. You haven’t even opened it.”

He sighs and tries to reassure me with a smile. He looks down and opens it. The box showcases a handsome men’s watch. It has a large blue face with brown straps. I knew as soon as I saw it it would look great on him and go nice with all of his damn dress vests and sweaters he wears to school. He looks up at me and smiles, my heart might explode.