Chapter Twenty-one

I quickly move off of Alex’s lap. I don't think I could blush any deeper. Alex on the other hand is on the verge of laughing at the whole situation. Cassie and James walk back into the apartment and sit down across from us. James takes the only chair and Cassie sits on his lap, facing us. 

"So I take it, you two worked things out!" James asks, his one eyebrow raised. 

"We've decided to take things slow until after graduation." His arm wraps around me. "And this doesn't leave the four of us or I could lose my job and Savannah could get in trouble." 

Cassie starts clapping and bouncing. I can't help but smile. Alex pulls me closer. When I look up at him I find his eyes already on me. 

"I hate to break this up but it's already past midnight and we should be heading back." Cassie says.

My good mood is instantly ruined. 

"Stay." Alex quietly says.

I look at him surprised. The man who was pissed I showed up is now telling me to stay. I look at Cassie and she shrugs her shoulders.

"Up to you." She says.

I look back at Alex. I don't want to leave.

"Ok." I smile.

"Sleepover! I call the bed!" James cheers.

"Hell no you don't! The girls can stay in the guest room and you get the couch!" Alex throws a pillow at James just barely missing Cassie. 

"Do you have something we can sleep in?" Cassie asks. 

Alex says yes before going to his room and grabbing a couple shirts. He tosses one at Cassie and hands me the other. It's a simple black t-shirt like the one he is wearing but I know just looking at it I will be swimming in it. 

"I will show you where you can change." Alex tells me.

I follow him down a small hall to the bathroom. He points to the door next to it.

"This is the guest bedroom. If you need anything please ask. Good night Savannah." He leans in and gives me a gentle kiss goodnight. My heart melts and races all at once. 

He walks away as I enter the bathroom. I get ready for bed and go into the guest room. It's small and has no personality. I quickly pull my sweatpants down and climb under the covers. It is too hot to sleep with those on. I start to wonder where Cassie is. Which reminds me I need to ask her what is going on with her and James. I lay down in the dark and try to go to sleep without her. 

I can't! I toss and turn and sleep refuses to pull me under. My brain won't stop thinking about everything that has happened today. And my body seems highly aware that I am staying at his place. 

I give up and throw the covers off of me. I quietly walk out and down the hall in search of Cassie. I find her asleep on the couch with James. Yeah she has a lot of explaining to do there, but if it's something serious I'm happy for her. 

I turn around to go back into my room. The sight of the other door cracked open pulls me towards it. I know it has to be his bedroom. I don't think twice before opening it and stepping inside. Alex reaches over and turns a lamp on. 

"You are killing me." His stare makes me squirm. I look down, I forgot I was only in underwear and his large shirt. 

"Come here." He commands.

I walk closer to the bed and he pulls the covers back. I climb in and he covers me up.

"Ok now that you're not so distracting...did you need something?" He smiles at me.

I shake my head. "No, I just couldn't sleep."

"Me neither." He says.

He leans back on the headboard and pulls me to him. I rest my head on his shoulder. My fingers, like always, find his tattoos and start tracing them. He is no longer wearing his shirt so I have new ones I couldn't trace earlier. 

"So you like my tattoos?" He asks, I can hear the smirk in his voice.

"I love them! They were what first caught my attention at the party."

"I'm pretty sure but I have to ask. Is the dreamcatcher your only tattoo?"

I blush thinking about how he is the only person who knows my body well enough to answer that question. 

"Yes, just the one."

"Do you want more?" 

"Maybe, I haven’t decided yet. I got it right after my eighteenth birthday. Cassie and now you are the only ones who know about it."

"I never would have guessed Mr. Hinsley was covered in tattoos under all those ties and dress clothes." I tease. "Why is that?" 

He seems to think for a minute before answering.

"I was told by my parents it would affect my chances at getting a job when I got older. Even my professors told me they may be an issue when being hired. I refused to listen. So when I started student teaching I didn't hide them. I also didn't show them off or make a big deal about them. But I got a lot of comments on them. Parents complained because they were afraid their kids would want to get tattoos or some other ridiculous reasons. When I was applying for teaching jobs I noticed they were seen in a negative light more than not. So I started covering them up. Also I like my clothes and I like to look professional whenever I'm at school."

Listening to his voice is soothing. 

"Can I ask you something?" I ask.

"Of course."

"You always wear glasses, but you weren't at the party."

"Contacts, I hate them but they were required to wear the mask." 

I yawn. He moves lower so that we are laying down instead of leaning against the headboard. He kisses my forehead.

"Go to sleep. We can talk tomorrow. And please for the love of God put pants on as soon as you leave this bed." 

I look up at his beautiful smirk. I drift off to sleep listening to his heart beat.