Preface

~Masquerade~

As I walk into the house I am surprised. As I look around the large house. I searched for red solo cups everywhere, girls and guys making out, oh and don’t forget the loud music with people dry humping each other, I mean dancing. Nothing. I start to ask myself if this is even a college party. 

Everything is clean, fancy, and expensive. The party guests are all dressed up, drinking out of glass flutes, while they stand around and talk. Also everyone is wearing masks! 

Cassie grabs us some drinks and toasts to a fun evening.

“This place looks amazing!” I confess to her. 

“I know. It’s like night and day from every other party I’ve been to here.” she tells me. “But they always go all out for Homecoming. I guess they stepped it up because Halloween is in two days too.”

I adjust my mask, not used to having something on my face. I look down at my dress and bite my lip thinking about how I look right now. I let Cassie do my make-up, which with a mask I don’t know what the point was. She also put me in one of her dresses. It's not really my style and one size too small. But I can't deny the black lace dress looks great on me.

We start roaming around. We find some of Cassie’s sorority sisters sitting in one room surrounded by a group of guys. I shouldn’t be surprised. As I sit down I take in everyone's outfits. The girls are a mix of short skimpy dresses and long flowing formal gowns. The guys are all in different versions of suits and tuxedos. All dawned with masquerade masks. 

I stay pretty quiet only speaking when asked a question. I don't really know anyone here besides Cassie. My eyes wander more than once to one of the guys. He is actually the least dressed up and has his dress shirt sleeves rolled up, showing off sleeves of tattoos. I secretly am obsessed with tattoos. He is tall, has gorgeous black hair, his face is clean shaved, he is well built, and he is just sexy. I don't realize I'm staring until I make eye contact with him. I quickly look away and take a quick drink. My glass is now empty and I notice Cassie's is too.

"I'll be right back with more to drink." I whisper to her as I stand. 

I walk off and silently curse myself for once again being awkward. I step up to the bar and order two more drinks. I panic for a minute before I remember it’s a fake bar and he won’t ask for ID. The guy portraying a bartender gives me a smirk as he hands me two glass flutes. 

“Another whiskey.”

Out of the corner of my eye I see an empty glass being slid across the bar by a strong, tattooed arm. For a brief moment my breath hitches and I bite my bottom lip. He leans against the bar and I finally gather up enough nerve to look at him. Yep sure enough it's the guy who had caught me staring. He looks over at me and smirks. 

“Hi, I’m Alex.”

“Anna.” I reply with a little more confidence than I thought I had.

He turns his body towards me and smiles at me. Damn he is hot...and I can’t even see his whole face thanks to these stupide masks. I try to think of something to say before the silence becomes awkward. I am rescued by the bartender who walks up and delivers Alex’s drink. He nods a thank you and turns back to me. 

“Well…” He sweeps his hand out to usher me back to the group. 

I hope I’m not blushing. I smile and walk back next to him. When we get back I see my spot has been taken and Cassie is talking to some guy. She looks up at me when I walk in and sees Alex next to me. She raises her eyebrows and smiles at me. If I wasn’t blushing before I am now. I make my way over to her and hand her her drink. She winks at me. I take a step back and try to join back into the conversations.