thomas shelby with roses

|21|
AMENDS

ETHELINDA HAD HER back turned, the sunlight embraced her angelic presence

ETHELINDA HAD HER back turned, the sunlight embraced her angelic presence. It was in that moment, Rose made sense of her life. To see her there, like she had always wanted seemed to cease the emptiness that resided in her.

Curly brown hair, bohemian dress, hoop earrings. She was a true Romany woman that graced the earth ever so fiercely with graciousness.

Yet, she wasn't real.

"Rosie?" Renie walks out into the hallway, concerned. "What are you looking at love?"

Rose closes her eyes and opens them.

The hallway was now empty and all that was there was her bemused aunt, who had a cigarette in one hand and cup of tea in the other.

"Rosie..." The look of concern continued to grow on Renie's face. More than anyone, she knew the signs. She saw them in her own sister and now, she feared that they were emerging in Rose.

"I'm okay." Rose takes a deep breath before picking up the groceries she had dropped quickly.

"I heard you say mum." Renie points out, not convinced. "I know a lot has been going on recently."

"I think it's a lack of sleep." Rose argues. If anything, she was trying to convince herself more than her aunt.

Renie sighs, looking at her nieces face which was pale, lifeless and exhausted.

"This is just the beginning of your real life if you decide to stay with him." Renie leans against the wall, looking up.

Rose knew that her aunt was not the biggest advocate of the Shelby's or the lifestyle they had. In all honesty, she detested it. Renie made her thoughts about Tommy being bad news more than loud and clear. Deep down, it was coming from a place of love; she just wanted the best for Rose and Harry.

"Do you know what people will think when they see you with Thomas Shelby? They'll think you're a harlot, Rosie." Renie's voice was extra raspy, she had seemed to smoke Harry's cigarettes as well as her pack. "The other women."

Rose didn't have the strength to defend herself, instead she succumbed to her aunts lecture. Her mind was doing laps, running back to the times when her and Tommy were in the pub and she'd catch him glancing at Daisy.

The other woman.

She despised that phrase.

"These Shelby's are nothing but trouble. Give you the eyes that make your heart stop, sweep you off your feet then get you into bed with them, right?" Renie continues.

Rose looks away, fed up.

"Right." Renie answers. Her nieces silence was the only response she needed. "Gangsters. God save the poor girls that fall for them. They'll ruin your bloody life, Rosie."