already broken

|14|
CHANGES

ADA RUBS HER growing belly, looking out the large window that displayed the backstreets of Small Heath

ADA RUBS HER growing belly, looking out the large window that displayed the backstreets of Small Heath. Aunt Polly stood by her niece, with a comforting hand on her shoulder as they both waited.

Isaac walks into the bedroom, closing the door and hanging up his coat.

"It's bloody freezing out there, Ada."

He doesn't even notice Polly in the room and Ada does not give a response.

Instead, she continues to look out the window, not fully acknowledging her husbands arrival, this didn't seem to stop him from continuing to ramble on about his day.

Right now, the only thing that clouded Ada's thoughts was the envelope seated in her hand that Polly delivered to her mere minutes before Isaac came home.

"Margaret has got us some clothes for the baby, she knitted them herself." Isaac takes off his hat, throwing himself on the bed. "I'll collect them tomorrow."

Ada still hadn't said anything, she had no idea how what she was about to tell Isaac would play out. Only a part of her could hope for the best, maybe with Polly by her side, he'd actually listen.

"Right." Isaac shuffles in the bed, trying to get into a comfortable position. "Don't wake me up until supper and then I'll do some work on the garde—"

"Isaac."

Isaac knew that tone. He instantly sits up.

After what seemed like forever, Ada finally turns around and makes eye contact with her husband.

"London." Was all she said.

Isaac gives the two ladies a bemused look, he had several questions running through his head. Why was Polly here and what on earth did Ada mean?

Her and Polly stood completely straight and formal, it almost felt like an interrogation with the way they were staring him down with faces so ridiculously serious.

He was becoming rather frightened.

Ada holds up the envelope. "In this envelope is two hundred pounds, Isaac." She smiles weakly.

His eyes widen.

"Two hundred pounds from Tommy. For a better and safer life in London." Polly places her hand on Ada's stomach. "For your family."

A series of emotions travel on Isaacs face but it halts at disgust. "No."

Sighing loudly, Ada puts the envelope down on the window sill. Inevitably, she knew this was going to happen.

"It's a honeymoon, Isaac." Ada replies, shrugging. "For us. A honeymoon that goes on forever."

Isaac shakes his head displeased. The whole situation almost amused him; he pulls out a cigarette.