their last petal

|33|
THE REUNION

TOMMY RUNS HIS hand through his chestnut brown hair, sighing as he walks into his office

He was back in Birmingham at last. It was late now, the night had fallen, but Lizzie Stark was still behind the typewriter and Isiah and Finn were waiting for Tommy in the room too.

"You're still here?"

"Well, there was a lot to do today with you gone." Lizzie was putting documents away. "The people renovating The Garrison want money, Arthur forgot who they were and pulled a gun out on them, so they're not the happiest bunch."

"Arthur, Arthur..." Tommy sighs. "I'll get a message out to them tomorrow about payments."

He notices Finn and Isiah sat down on the sofa in the room.

"What are you two doing here?"

"They're waiting for you." Lizzie points out.

"You boys can't speak for yourselves?" Tommy walks up to them, hands in his pockets. "Hm?"

Isiah nudges Finn as Tommy towered over them, prompting him to speak up.

"It's your brother." He whispers harshly.

"W-we need a couple erm, shillings, to go have drinks down at the Red Lion." The youngest Shelby gulps, scratching his head.

"Drinks? You two just learned how to zip and button up your fucking trousers yesterday. Get out." Tommy orders strictly, pointing to the door.

They both get up reluctantly and leave, arguing with each other on the way out.

"I should've done the talking. He would've listened to me." Isiah complains.

"You're the one that nudged me!" Finn defends loudly.

"Can't believe we waited here for nothing, it's your fault."

Lizzie closes the door behind them, laughing to herself. "Finn reminds me of you, Tommy."

Tommy lights a cigarette, the smell of smoke fills the air, "That's the problem, Lizzie."

"I've put the advert for the grand reopening of The Garrison in the papers like you asked. Oh and the letter you sent out to London arrived."

Tommy stares at the painting of The Garrison on the wall, nodding. Right now, Rose was probably reading his letter as they spoke.

"Also, I've finally gotten through to Ivy Jones's father, her manager. She'll be able to perform at The Garrison. I also booked Betta Loveworth in case she's a no show."

"Good, good."

"In my diary it says you wanted to have a meeting about something today. Just you and me?" Lizzie recalls, putting her pen behind her ear.