she's the past

|03|

OLD FACES

IT WAS FASCINATING, how you could be strangers

IT WAS FASCINATING, how you could be strangers. Strangers that have nothing in common but the past they once shared. It was truly fascinating. Especially to Tommy.

He'd find himself one day thinking; thinking about someone who only had a connection to the boy he was before. It would make him think. A lot. He'd be drawn out of reality by his thoughts but something would always push him back into it.

"I called this family meeting because we need to fucking talk." Arthur sits back on his chair, tapping his cigarette on the ashtray.

Like, now.

"First it was the guns we stole, then the cocaine, then the booze." He lists.

Aunt Pol looks up from the tea mug she was staring at. "For Christ's sake, our men stole booze too?"

"Coming all the way from Mexico, Pol. It's proper booze, for the Garrison."

Arthur sits up, clearing his throat.

"But that's not the issue here, we always steal booze, it's the guns and the cocaine." Arthur says sternly to his family that were gathered around the table. "You know how the coppers are trying to cleanse the city from drugs, if they catch us with this shit, we'll all go down."

Tommy leans against the wall, these family meetings always seemed like a matter of great urgency but when he got here, it was nothing he hadn't taken care of.

"The cocaine is going to London, you know how crazy they are for the 'magic white powder'. I plan on extending business over there in a couple months, maybe a year." Tommy informs, taking a pack of cigarettes out his pocket.

"Since when?" Aunt Polly and Arthur say in unison, both equally in shock.

"What the hell happened to family votes, eh? To meetings?" Arthur interrogates, frustrated with Tommy doing this behind his back. "Now you're just making decisions without us."

Tommy doesn't speak.

"What's wrong with you?"

Arthur turns to Polly. "What the fuck is wrong with him lately!?"

"If I knew I'd buy the cure from Comptons Chemists." Polly sighs.

Ada groans loudly, sinking into her chair, "Do I have to be here?"

"Calm down, it'll be over in a minute princess, Arthur and Tommy just need to fight first." John chuckles, trying to provide comedic relief to the tension in the room.

"Stop it." Polly cautions, "your brothers are not going to fight like dogs, we have family meetings to talk family business out properly."

"Okay, so let's talk family business." Tommy begins, putting his hands down on the table. "Like I said, I'll take care of the drug business, it's in a safe place. We just need to keep our eyes on the races."