confessions

|32|
CRACKED WALLS

THE WIND HOWLED as darkness and fog blanketed Small Heath

THE WIND HOWLED as darkness and fog blanketed Small Heath. It was a cold autumn night.

The only light was the pearl like moon that sat majestically in the sky and the sailors lamps that reflected on the ultramarine blue river.

Tommy wraps his coat around him and continues to walk up to the docks with a cigarette in between his lips, warming him up.

"Who's there?" Harry questions loudly, catching sight of Tommy's shadows.

He cocks his gun, pointing it at the strange figure behind the fog. "I said who's there?"

Tommy limps up closer to Harry and he can just about make out the silhouette of his familiar peaky cap and coat.

"Tommy?" He puts the gun down.

Tommys uncle, Charlie, who was inside the boat, steps out with Curly.

"What are you doing here, boy? You don't get discharged for weeks." His uncle looked like he had just seen a ghost.

"Curly, get that oil you put on horses legs when they go lame." Tommy orders. It was more than obvious he was still in pain, even if he tried to hide it.

"Y-yeah, okay Tommy. Yeah." Curly stutters.

Harry and Charlie exchange concerned looks.

"We ought to shoot you like a mad horse since you've clearly lost your mind." His uncle scolds.

He wasn't happy that Tommy had discharged himself.

"What's in the boat, boys?" Tommy questions with a sigh, ignoring him.

"Just offloading some booze for The Garrison, this one came in all the way from Cuba." Harry informs.

Tommy looks to the illegal crates of alcohol. "Keep up the good work."

Charlie brings out a chair for him to sit on.

"Another three weeks, Tommy. You couldn't just wait until they discharged you." His uncle rambles.

"I wanted to say thank you, again." Harry starts out of nowhere. "Me and my family, we never thought we'd find mum again..."

"No need to thank me, it's the least I could do." Tommy croaks, closing his eyes.

He would never forget how Harry saved his life in France. He owed him this.

"I think our Rosie is going to go mad when she gets the letter and sees you were behind it, you did send her the same letter, didn't you?"

It was then, Tommy had remembered that he did.

He opens his eyes.

"The letter will get to her in four days, Harry. But now, I need to get on a boat to London, tonight."