family business

|16|
PREPARATIONS

HELEN McCRORY | POLLY GRAY

"AS FAR AS family meetings go, this might be one of the most important yet." Tommy stood in front of his family and fellow workers in their betting shop, all their faces were turned to him.

He was already dressed and ready, in his palish grey suit. In his palm, he held his golden hand watch, waiting.

"Sorry I'm late!" John rushes into the room with his wife Esme, fixing his tie and rumpled clothes. "Katie done a wee in the bed and the boys needed to be dropped off at Mrs Barnes."

It was half ten, and everyone had been instructed by Tommy to be gathered here strictly on time, but of course, John was late.

"It's alright John, just make sure next time you do your wife by nine ." Tommy responds, calling out the real obvious reason John was late.

Ada sniggers to herself with Finn on her lap.

John had just married Esme Lee a couple days ago, a gypsy girl from the notorious Lee family that the Shelby's had problems with last year.

Now, that could be put to rest as they were all family thanks to their marriage. John had previously lost his wife a while back, they had four children. So, this union was a special one to the whole Shelby family.

However, it meant that John spent an extra thirty minutes or so in bed every morning, 'enjoying' his new wife.

"Tomorrow is the day."

Polly looks up at Tommy, astonished. She knew what that meant, she knew that it was going to happen, just not as soon.

"Are you sure, Thomas?" She waits for his answer, Polly needed to know he was certain about this.

He nods. "Tomorrow we will take down Kimber and his men."

The Shelby's look at each other, stunned.

Of course they trusted Tommy with their whole hearts, he was the glue of the family. Still, Kimber had more men fighting for him than the bloody British Army. To take down Kimber meant a battle that would stop the world moving for a second.

Anyone could die— even Tommy.

"I am working now with the chief inspector of the Birmingham police force, inspector Whitely. The O'Donnells had him on payroll but I've offered him a bigger sum."

Arthur shuffles about in his seat, a bit hungover. "We don't work for coppers." He grumbles.

"You see, Arthur." Tommy pulls a cigarette out. "He's working for us. We will leave the guns in a location for Kimber and while he's there, we will send a tip off to Inspector Whitely who will go up there and arrest Kimber and who ever he's with before the races."