falling apart

|48|
EMBRYONIC LOVE

   ROSE HAD HER fair share of bad men

ROSE HAD HER fair share of bad men. The first man she ever knew wasn't the holiest. Her father. Yet, she still loved him.

And he loved her but had a terrible way of showing it.

Sometimes she'd imagine what it would be like if it was just her mum, her and Harry. Then, she'd feel guilty.

Loving someone you know who doesn't deserve it feels like committing a crime.

"This way Mrs Shelby."

A police officer directs Rose into a dim hallway. She had been in police custody for nearly four hours, interrogated, threatened, yet she gave no information or snitched. One thing about Rose was that she hated her husband's business, but was loyal to it out of love.

"Visiting hours are nearly over so make it quick." The officer instructs, leading her into a quiet room full of inmates talking to their loved ones on individual tables.

Confused, Rose looks around. "Where's Renie? My aunt?"

"Not your aunt, more like the devil himself." The officer sighs, nodding in a direction.

The coppers here were definitely not fond of the Shelby's but still feared them.

Rose's eyes follow until her gaze lands on Tommy who was charging up to them.

There was a mix of anger and anxiety in his eyes.

"Where is she!?" Tommy pushes past several officers.

"Tommy, I'm here!" She waves, walking up to him in a fast pace.

Without second thought she pulls him into a tight embrace, breathing heavily. It was a warm embrace she had yearned for, he smelt of whiskey and smoke. Rose could feel his continuous heartbeat against her head, it was a sound she had grown grateful for.

They eventually pull away and she gulps, staring into his bright ice-blue eyes.

They were sat down now on a small table, basking in unbearable silence for a while.

"Rose." Tommy's voice was hoarse, he was still looking directly at her.

"Tommy, why am I here?" Rose questions, exhausted.

He leans in closer, taking her hand.  "You'll be out in less than an hour, Harry might be in longer. Right now everything's fucked. Inspector James has—" He pauses, running his hand through his hair. "Everything is just fucked."

By the tone of Tommy's voice, she could tell something was off.

"How's the baby?"

Rose looks down at her growing bump. "Fine."

"What did they do to you? Did they hurt you?" His voice was getting angrier with each question. "What—"

"I'm fine."