angel of death

|49|
FOR I HAVE SINNED

|49|FOR I HAVE SINNED

SMALL HEATH

"WE'RE CLOSED RIGHT now!" Rose calls out, scrubbing the counters of The Garrison spotless.

She could hear some lingering footsteps outside.

Since Arthur was away right now in London, Rose took it upon herself to do the locking up at night when everything was calm.

Darkness had set over Small Heath, stars had blanketed the sky, stretching to infinity. The Garrison was empty, quiet and still— Rose liked it like that.

Suddenly, there's an urgent knock as if God himself was banging on the doors of earth.

"I said, we're closed!" Rose walks up to the grand double doors, unlocking them.

"Come back tomo—"

She halts her sentence at the sight of the man that walks straight past her and into the pub.

His brunette hair had droplets of water glistening at the ends, his black coat was drenched and he had his peaky cap in his hands.

"Tommy?"

"I need a drink." He wipes his forehead, grabbing a bottle off the counter.

"You don't drink at this time." Rose replies, going behind the counter.

"I do," Tommy grabs a glass, "But you wouldn't know that because you haven't been home."

"It's been two days. I've been staying with my mum and aunt."

Ever since Rose had been let out, she hadn't stepped foot in their home or seen Tommy after their argument, which made things worse.

"I know he's here." Tommy's voice was low as he poured himself a drink.

"Who's here?"

"That duke you like so much."

There was silence again, that silence that comes with the night.

"And I know he got you out of police custody and now he wants to take you back to London."

There was a hint of jealousy in his tone.

"Well, I said no." Rose shrugs.

Tommy finally looks up at her, his eyes were a cool blue but they still made you feel hot, they burned into your soul, bewitched you.