the derby

|53|
PART ONE

|53|PART ONE

LONDON

DERBY DAY, A day like no other, where rich and poor are tuning their radios to hear the winnings, men are laying their bets and ladies getting their dresses fitted and tightened for the glorious occasion.

However, to some, this day meant more than just suits, dresses and drinks.

This is the day the peaky blinders take over London. But like always, on a day like this, there's a price to pay.

Today stood as a line between life and death for Tommy and maybe others. He could feel it, he could feel death approaching. He had been so close to it so many times before that the feeling became too familiar.

"Are you sure you're up to this, ma'am?" Victoria, Rose's maid, asks.

Rose stares at the large mirror in front of her, observing her sky blue dress and hat with a blue ribbon. She felt delicate, like a spring flower or a china set. The window's golden light shone directly onto the growing belly she cradled, then onto her reflection.

"Yes, I am Victoria." She takes a deep breath. "And I think I like this dress for the races, I'm going to pick it."

"But the doctor said you should stay home, that you could give birth any day now—"

"Honestly, I feel fine." Rose interrupts, dusting her dress. "Babies hardly come on time. Do you mind getting another hat I could try on please?"

Victoria nods slowly, leaving the room.

In all honesty, Rose was terrified. She could sense that this day wasn't a normal day.

Tommy had been consumed in his office for weeks leading up to the derby.

Something was going on. She had always known that he had planned on kicking Sabini out the game today. However, she felt like there was more. There was always more when it came to Tommy.

And she was right.

Today, Thomas Shelby was going to kill a man.

But it wasn't like any murder he had carried out before, it was different, for so many reasons.

"Ah, there you are. Your tea is getting cold." Ada walks into the room, still in her nightgown.

"Do you know where Tommy is?" Rose asks nervously. She had woken up and he had already gone, the bed was empty.

The two were at Ada's house in London.