black star day

|22|
PART ONE

POLLY LOOKED UP at the ceiling, with her hands together

POLLY LOOKED UP at the ceiling, with her hands together. In her palms was a wooden crucifix necklace which she held sacred. The betting shop was empty and the morning had barely saw light, Polly was still in her white nightgown. It was a miracle she got any sleep knowing the events of today.

"Dear Lord, make this day pass well. Let none get hurt. And make them that do, not Shelby's." Polly clutches onto the necklace, with her eyes shut tightly.

Taking a deep breath, she continues. "Watch John, cos' he has so many depending on him." Her mind goes to John's four kids and his new wife, Esme. "Watch Arthur, because he's as likely to hurt himself as anyone else."

Polly waits, listening to the sound of the crickets chirping in the distance, the early morning chatter outside and the birds.

"Watch Thomas." She finally prays, unaware that Thomas was now stood behind her by the doorway. "I know how he is. But he does what he does for us."

Polly does the sign of the cross slowly. "I think. Amen."

She turns around, nearly jumping at Tommy's presence. He had his hands in the pockets of his navy blue suit, watching, without a word.

"I used to do that. Every single morning during the war. When the war ended, I hoped I'd done it for the last time." Polly admits, timidly.

"Today will be the last time, Pol." Tommy promises.

She looks down at her crucifix necklace.

"After today, no prayers will be needed. We'll be set."

Polly lifts her head up at her nephew with hope in her eyes.

"Family meeting. Half ten. Don't be late." Tommy reminds her, leaving.

•••

"It is way too early for our neighbours to be dancin' to a stupid gramophone!" Renie complains, still in her night dress with a cup of tea and cigarette in hand.

"They could probably say the same about you up at night singing like a dying cat, drunk." Harry replies whilst opening the kitchen cupboard, chuckling.

"I'm so bloody close to going over there and smashing it up." Renie grumbles, sitting down at the dining table.

Rose walks in, yawning. "You're just jealous because yours is broken."

Their aunt doesn't reply, instead, she sulks in her chair, letting her tea get cold.

"Rosie, do you mind checking the post? Was meant to get a letter from Jack."