tommy's girl

|50|
SAVIOUR IN A SUIT

TOMMY STARED AT his reflection, his hands gripped the cold body of the sink

Silence.

But it never lasted too long.

Tommy had been up for a while now, he was awoken by vivid flashbacks of the war. The explosions, the dirt, the screams, blood and darkness. He always felt like he could never truly escape, it would always be a part of him.

Rose helped, she was his remedy.

Ever since meeting her, his mind had calmed down. However, the phantoms of the past that haunted him hadn't completely disappeared.

He had left pieces of himself in France. The ghost of that scared young man who had hopes and dreams to get back to his family, become a horseman and marry his childhood sweetheart still dug through those dingy tunnels.

A droplet of water falls from the faucet.

It was a small sound yet it echoed so loudly in Tommy's ears.

He looks up at the mirror that was slightly cracked, breathing heavily.

Something told him as he felt the gentle cool morning breeze against his skin, that this peaceful morning wouldn't last long.

Nothing ever did.

Tommy could hear footsteps walking towards him from behind. Delicate ones. Although he had his back turned he could guess who it was.

"You're up." Rose whispers. The roundness of her pregnant belly pressed against Tommy as she wrapped her arms around him.

She rests her head on his back.

He lets out a sigh, closing his eyes.

He wanted this moment to last forever. No words. Just him and his wife.

"Can I have my cigarettes, love?" His voice was low and raspy.

"Already put them out on the table for you." Rose responds softly.

He turns around and finally faces her, they were just centimetres apart.

Without warning, Rose starts fixing his slightly ruffled hair and Tommy gazes at her with his deep blue eyes.

"You need a trim, Thomas. Maybe around the edges here."

He liked how Rose looked like when she was concentrating, it was charming.