fast women & slow horses

|11|
CONFESSIONAL BOX

REGÉ-JEAN PAGE | ISAAC JESUS

TOMMY ENTERS THE Garrison with a lit cigarette in his hand, it's almost as if the warm atmosphere glowed on his face as he stepped into the place he had known since the beginning of time.

It was mid afternoon and he had left Rose's house the second he heard the police raid had been called off prematurely.

They didn't find his cocaine but they did find illegal heroine on some men and made arrests; Tommy had no idea why the search had been called off, he could only guess that he got lucky, at least they didn't find the guns.

"Tommy!" John cheers as he notices him walk in, he ushers him to the table he was on.

Arthur pushes the drink in front of him towards Tommy. "Go on, have a celebration drink." He insists.

Tommy contemplates to himself for a minute, before giving in. "Okay then, why not."

It wasn't like Tommy to be easily persuaded by his brothers, yet today, he was in a good mood.

Arthur lights his cigarette with a sheepish grin plastered on his face, "where were you this morning, Tom?"

John sniggers.

Tommy clears his throat, trying to take a more mature stance. "I had lots of work to do ."

"You sure work wasn't the only person— I mean thing, you were doing?" John erupts into laughter with Arthur, for way too long for Tommy's liking.

He shakes his head, pulling another cigarette out the pack in his hand. "Just pass me the fucking matches John."

John hands him the matches with a large annoying smile. "It's about time you found yourself a woman."

"R-remember what dad used to say." Arthur starts, catching his breath from laughing.

"Fast women and slow horses will ruin your life!" Arthur and John chant in unison, laughing once again.

Tommy couldn't hide his smile now if he wanted to, it beamed bright on his face for just one second. Only a second. You'd be lucky enough to catch it, like a wild vibrant butterfly on a spring morning.

"What are we celebrating boys?" Daisy walks over, taking their empty glasses.

"You won't believe it, the search for the cocaine got called off, they won't find ours." John blabs to Daisy freely, sinking back into his chair.