tommy & rose

|29|
TWO SIDES OF THE SAME COIN

NATASHA O'KEEFFE | LIZZIE STARK

TOMMY WALKS INTO the downstairs office, taking off his peaky cap. Lizzie was reading a book and the sight of Tommy nearly startled her.

"You're back from London. And you're early." She wasn't expecting him to be here so soon, even though they arranged to meet.

He doesn't say a word; instead Tommy slowly walks up to her. Lizzie didn't know this yet, but he was somewhat admiring her. Gently, he takes the book that was in her hand and puts a bookmark on the page she was on.

"Shut your eyes." He instructs, putting the book on the table.

"What?" Lizzie responds, confused.

"Go on, shut your eyes." Tommy repeats as he moves the hair that covered her forehead.

Hesitantly, Lizzie puts her hands over her eyes, a little amused at all this.

"Okay, come with me." Tommy was guiding her to behind the desk.

She opens her eyes slightly, peaking through the gap through her fingers.

"No, shut your eyes." Tommy says sternly, and Lizzie can't help but giggle at how serious he was being about this.

"This way." He sits her down on the chair behind the desk. "Sit down here."

"What on earth are you doing, Tom?" Lizzie laughs, sat down.

"You said you're on a typewriting course, right? You've been learning to type with your eyes shut?" Tommy recalls.

"You remembered?"

Tommy watches her put her hands down and he places his own hand over her eyes so she still can't see.

"What's happening?"

"Lizzie, type this." He uses his other hand to take her cigarette off her and put it out.

She places her fingers on the typewriter, waiting for Tommy's instructions.

"Right. If winter comes..." Tommy starts.

Lizzie begins typing.

"Then, can spring be far behind?" He proceeds.

Lizzie snorts. "Why? — Did you just say Spring?"

"Lizzie, what comes after winter?"

She types it up and Tommy finally takes his hand off her eyes, giving her back her vision.

"Let's see." He bends down so he's at level with the typewriter. "It's a question, where's the question mark?" He points.

"Alright, Mr English teacher." Lizzie says sarcastically with a smile. "I'll put in the question mark."