forgive to forget

|44|
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY love

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY love." Polly smiles, fixing the tie on Michael's suit.

"Yeah, happy birthday lad!" Scudboat shouts merrily, entering the Shelby betting shop.

"Met your father when I was eighteen." Polly reveals, grinning. "You look just like him now."

He really did.

"I'm surprised Johns old suit could fit me," Michael observes his clothes, "most of his old clothes fit me perfectly."

"Well you can have them all, I'm sure John won't mind."

"I saw that Tommy needs a new accountant." Michael brings up. "I was wondering if—"

"No." Polly didn't even let him finish. "Michael, I don't want to talk about this on your eighteenth birthday."

Ever since Michael had come here, Polly tried her best to keep him away from what Tommy did and all the dirty work they did as a family. However, Michael was smart. He already knew who the Shelby's were. And it didn't scare him, it made him want to stay more.

"If I'm going to stay here for a long time then I need a job." Michael explains. "You work with Tommy, why can't I?"

"Because, I don't want you to. Why don't you work at The Garrison? They're looking for a barmaid." Polly suggests, taking a cigarette out.

He shoots his mother a sarcastic smile.

Suddenly, Isiah and Sarah walk in together and Michael immediately looks up.

"If it isn't the birthday boy!" Isiah cheers, running up to Michael, ruffling his hair. "You're eighteen now! We need to find you a lady of the night."

"Absolutely not." Polly refuses. "We can't afford treatment for the clap right now."

Sarah had a plate in her hands, standing behind her older brother sheepishly.

"I baked you a cake because, why not?" She slightly lifts up the plate of red velvet cake in her hands.

Michael stops messing about with Isiah and looks at her.

"T-thank you." He stutters. He always got nervous around Sarah, he still had a massive crush on her.

"Look at his suit. Doesn't he look like a proper man?" Isiah smirks.

"He looks like he works in the library in town." Sarah blurts out.

Isiah nudges her. "Yeah, but don't say it out loud." He whispers.

"Has anyone seen Rosie?" Tommy questions urgently, walking into the room. "Happy birthday by the way."

"Has she done a runner?" Polly asks, standing up. "Wouldn't be surprised since you threw a bloody bottle at her head."