secret lovers

|04|

DON'T TELL A SOUL

SOPHIE RUNDLE | ADA SHELBY

WHEN TOMMY LEFT to go to France, he was ready to die.

Not only a physical kind of death, but the death of who he was before. He died the second he put on that uniform. In some ways, Tommy thought that type of death was worse than actually physically dying, because your present self becomes a lingering reminder of the phantom you were before.

As he stared at Daisy in front of him, memories flooded. Memories that were good and memories that were bad.

Daisy looked like a movie star, the one she always wanted to be.

Her auburn coloured hair was warmed by the suns halos and her eyes were the home of triton, the god of the sea, mixed with a murky green.

She also didn't look like herself, she didn't look like Daisy Eva Wilson. Was it the glitzy makeup, pretty clothes or the fact she was older? Tommy couldn't tell. He only knew one version of her.

"You're actually alive." She whispers under her breath, chuckling.

The two were standing meters apart with nothing but awkwardness, long silences and tension in between them.

"Some nights I wish I wasn't ."

Daisy was holding two bags of groceries in an emerald green dress with a white cardigan. Unlike Tommy who appeared expressionless, she had a stunned look on her face.

Almost like she had just seen a ghost. A ghost of her past.

"You know, I convinced myself you were dead so it would be easier." She hadn't taken her greeny-blue eyes off him.

Tommy didn't know what to say to that.

He was the one that didn't write back to any of her letters. But, she was the one that wasn't waiting when he'd got back to know why.

Could he blame her though?

Knowing that Tommy wasn't going to respond, she continues talking. "Well I'm off to go get my job back at the Garrison. I miss my barmaid days. I just came back from Penny's Groceries. It's my first proper dinner back so—"

"If you want to scream at me, kick, shout, hit me, I suggest you do it now." Tommy lights a cigarette, bracing himself.

"You're going to be around for a while and I don't want any tension."

Daisy had been living in London, living a glamorous life by the looks of it. To Tommy, it looked like her singing career had really taken off. Which was good, it meant he did the right thing, she strived without him.