delilah

|35|
RACE OF THE HEART

ROSE LOVED HER family

ROSE LOVED HER family. More than anything. Her twin brother was her counterpart and had been since the day they entered this earth. Their bond was beyond blood. Renie, their aunt, had practically brought them up until they went to live in London. So naturally, they were all close.

Yet, Harry had found his own way in the world. He was working for Tommy, he had a wife and child. Another one on the way.

He knew what he wanted to be.

Some days, when the noises around Rose had drowned and the room she was in felt empty despite everyone being in it; she couldn't help but feel like she was getting left behind.

"Rosie! Are you awake?" Renie's voice echoed  from downstairs, bouncing on walls.

Rose tries to brush through her messy golden hair with her fingers.

She was now.

"Yeah, I'll be down in a minute!" She shouts back, straightening her pale pink nightgown.

Still exhausted, she lights herself a cigarette and puts on a white cardigan, making her way downstairs.

"Come on! Twirl me around like you mean it!" Renie laughs, dancing with Harry in the kitchen. "What's wrong with your generation? You lot don't know how to dance anymore!"

"Ow! You just stepped on my fucking toe, Ren." Harry winces, with a smile.

"Look at the mess in here..." Rose mumbles to herself, picking up the glass of whiskey that had spilt on the dining table.

Renie had just gotten her gramophone fixed last week, she hadn't stopped dancing since.

"Rosie, there's a box of jam donuts from Penny's, my treat. Help yourself." Renie mentions, noticing her.

"Do you both know how early it is? We'll get complaints from the neighbours."

"I hate our neighbours, so knowing that they're complaining rather than rejoicing is fine by me." Renie huffs.

Rose crosses her arms. "Mrs Allen is lovely."

"She's really not." Harry argues. "Mrs Allen whacks kids with her walking stick when they're in her way."

Rose turns to her twin brother who was stuffing his mouth with a muffin.

He was far too comfortable here.