husband and wife

|42|
LOVE IS MY WITNESS

   THE WEATHER SEEMED to be on their side, the sun was emitting it's never ending golden glow upon St George's Chapel which stood at the centre of Small Heath

THE WEATHER SEEMED to be on their side, the sun was emitting it's never ending golden glow upon St George's Chapel which stood at the centre of Small Heath. Yet, that cold icy chill of a winters day still lingered, sparkling the atmosphere like a fairytale.

It was two days before Christmas. December 23rd. Today marked an event that would change the course of Tommy's life forever,

his wedding day.

Tommy was outside the gates of the church, smoking his last cigarette as an unmarried man. You could hear the wedding bells all the way from The Garrison. People were strolling in now with glossy cars of every kind, wearing spring colours and elegant jackets.

Tommy chucks his cigarette away, walking through the majestic black gates.

The Court family had just arrived and the word on the street was the Daltons were heading East, making their way to the service too.

"Would you believe it? Thomas Shelby actually looks like a gentleman." Polly jokes as he walks towards her.

The thing was, he really did. He stood there in his black suit that was as crisp as a new banknote and dyed to a uniform shade of raven black. It was magical, how a great tailor could take his hard gangster exterior, bloodthirsty attitude and transform him into a faultless groom.

"Where's Arthur, Polly?" Tommy queries, a little agitated where his best man was. He fixes the single rose bud attached to the lapel of his suit.

"I don't know, I think he's on the steps." Polly responds, picking up Karl.

There was about a million people outside on the steps of St George's, chatting before the service started, but the one person that stood out the most to Tommy was Renie Lovell.

She was wearing the same clothes she wore to her fathers funeral and a skull necklace hung from her neck.

In her hands, was a funeral hymn booklet instead of a wedding one.

"Right, don't get mad Tommy..." Arthur starts, walking towards him. "But Renie Lovell is—"

"Dressed like she's at a gypsy funeral, yeah I can fucking see that." He responds, fuming. "That woman—"

"Tommy, Tommy." Arthur grabs his arm, stopping him from going over to her.

"Forget Renie, alright? She wants attention. The only approval you need is from Rosie's mum and she's on the moon about this day. This is your fucking wedding day. Here, have another cigarette."

Tommy nods, letting him light the cigarette between his lips. Arthur was right. Today was his wedding day and there was nothing that could change the fact that he was going to marry Rosella Kimber.