fire and smoke

|51|
RAGES

ST GEORGE's CHAPELSMALL HEATH

ST GEORGE's CHAPEL
SMALL HEATH.

  "YOU!" TOMMY BELLOWS, storming up to Inspector James who sat on a row of seats with his head down.

"You fucking lied!"

St George's Chapel was as empty as the lonely spirits that came there to pray.

The arches rose into the darkness and the stained glass windows told a forgotten story of saints as the candles burned out.

The church's ancient walls were not used to the wrath of Tommy Shelby.

Inspector James chuckles, finally looking up at the gangster. "This is a place of worship Mr Shelby, I'd at least expect you to censor your language—"

Before he can even finish, Tommy grabs his cane out of his hand and throws it.

He lowers his head down to Inspector James, quieting his tone. "We had a fucking deal."

"Mr Shelby, have you read the papers?" The inspector grabs the newspaper next to him.
"The Home Secretary wants to cleanse England of its prostitution, cocaine, racketeering, illegal booze and of course, gambling."

Tommy takes a step back, shaking his head. "You offered me protection if I did your stupid killings for you, you promised me protection."

"No, you see, it was Mr Churchill who gave you that promise when he granted you an export license, and you know the Home Secretary outranks him." He smiles wickedly.

Tommy nods angrily. "So for a pat on the back and a fucking promotion you'd do this? Right."

"Don't blame me that your eldest brother decided to go on some killing spree at Solomon's dinner."

Tommy scoffs, pointing his finger furiously at the inspector. "Don't fucking lie to me, you set him up with them." He grabs his collar angrily.

"Do not sit in your fucking church and lie to me!"

Inspector James waits a couple seconds before responding.

"Let's not forget who holds the power in this room now Mr Shelby, so contain your emotions."

Tommy was breathing heavily, his eyes burning with an unfathomable anger. This man's wife killed his baby, and there was no doubt that Tommy's hate for him ran deeper than ever now.

But he had to be tactical about this in order to win.

So he finally lets go of Mr James.

"Thank you. Now, let's review this new situation."

He grabs his cane, getting up slowly. "I have your brother charged with the murder of Billy Kitchen, the case against him is strong and he's destined to hang. Then Michael Gray, who has already admitted to helping burn down The Marquis."