the most of everything

|57|
NOTHING LASTS FOREVER.

BIRMINGHAM CITY HOSPITAL 8:50pm

8:50pm.

THERE ARE PIECES of ourselves we can only find by going back to certain places. Sometimes the ghosts of our pasts do not wander, they stay still. And for Rose Shelby, that one place that brought back her tragedies was here. This very hospital in Birmingham. It stood like a cemetery, full of ghosts but so unearthly peaceful.

And like a forgotten tale, Rose had locked away the fateful day she had been rushed here. However some nights, those padlocks would undo themselves.

But now she could see it, so vividly— black star day.

Blood, it was crimson red. Just like a rose. They said she wasn't going to make it as they pushed her through these very claustrophobic hallways. Panic. Shouts. A swarm of doctors. Her tears had dried onto her pale lifeless skin. It felt like the end of a beginning.

Rose opens her eyes, breathing heavily. She was back in the present now.

A nurse walks past her swiftly, pushing a trolley of food for patients.

Time, it is a strange thing. One minute you're full of bliss, with your newborn twins— then the next minute you're in a bleak hospital that your dying brother has been transferred to. Rose had left her sons in the care of her mother and aunt to be here.

She was mentally and physically exhausted.

It was meant to be a happy time but she just couldn't feel anymore, and that in itself was a dangerous feeling.

"Mrs Shelby." A voice behind her calls, startling her a little.

Rose turns around as a doctor approaches her. The old man had a solemn look on his face.

"Sorry for the wait." He apologises, taking off his gloves.

"It's no problem." Rose practically whispers.

"May I guide you to your brother's room?" He was already walking.

Rose adjusts the emerald coat she's wearing, taking a deep breath. As they walked, Rose kept her head hung low. In the far distance she could hear a baby crying. A man coughing. She looks up as they passed a room where a nurse was covering up a patient that had just been pronounced dead.

She gulps.

"This room, Mrs Shelby." The doctors words echoed as he stopped.