ghosts

|40|
TALKING ABOUT MARRIAGE

     ROSE BRUSHES GENTLY through the mane of the snow white horse in front of her

     ROSE BRUSHES GENTLY through the mane of the snow white horse in front of her. The stables were ice cold as the midland breeze blanketed the atmosphere, leaving frost jewels on the green pastures outside. No fire, no sun, no stove, could warm up the brisk biting cold of December in Small Heath. Yet Rose loved to see it; to see the Christmas decorations, the children in their mittens that were always too big for them, the ruins of a snowman and the look on mother's faces as their sons from the city came home for the holidays.

"Look what I brought for you." Rose takes off the blanket over the basket of apples and the horse immediately neighs. "I know, I know. You're hungry. Here." She takes an apple out. "Easy, girl."

"Rosella." The familiar deep voice of Tommy slightly echoes, he chucks his cigarette away and walks up to her.

"Thought I'd find you here." The warmth of his breath hits the back of Rose's neck as he stood behind her.

"Martha's getting old, Tommy." Rose dusts dirt off the horses thigh with her hand.

"Hello, hello." Tommy greets gently to the horse, letting her sniff his hand. "How are you, eh?"

"She doesn't have the same spring in her walk, you can tell it's not easy for her anymore." Rose continues, watching Tommy. "She's always been my favourite."

"Yeah. Martha's a good one. Got good instinct."

Tommy stares at the horse that he knew ever since he was a young boy. No matter how lame or useless her legs got, he vowed to never put a bullet in her head.

"I told my aunt about the engagement." Rose turns to Tommy. "I just bloody said it. Wasn't even thinking. Did it on the dinner table, she nearly choked."

Tommy sighs, moving her hair out her face. "You can come stay with me if you have to."

"Let's just wait until after the wedding. She's not that mad. I promise." Rose was trying to convince herself more than Tommy.

"All she said was, 'I'm not upset with you getting married, I'm upset with who you're getting married to', I was expecting her to say something worse actually."

Tommy didn't know what it was going to take to win the approval of Rose's aunt.

Renie Lovell was a tough one. Although she was one of Polly's oldest friends, the Shelby boys had never really been in her good books.

Tommy and Arthur used to throw eggs at her house when they were boys. Arthur even chucked her cat out the window. It still landed on its paws. John would play tricks on her too. Plus, the Shelby boys were really bad influences on her sons and made them act out.