silence at last

|41|
BLUE EYES

      POLLY WAS A mess

      POLLY WAS A mess. Her room had so many clothes on the floor that it was hard to navigate anything. Her bed was unmade. Shattered glass on the floor, empty bottles on the table. A candle still burned.

Rubbing her nose, she looks into her cracked mirror. Her hair was tragic, eyes completely bloodshot.

"Fuck this." Polly mutters. She wanted to be back in bed, waking up was a burden.

With an exaggerated sigh, she wipes smudged mascara off her eyelid. Then, she downs a glass of alcohol that had been on her bedside table for God knows how long.

Abruptly, there's a repeated knock on her door.

"Piss off." She groans loudly, putting on a robe.

If it was her neighbours asking for milk or butter again, she'd have a go. It would be the fifth time this week.

She opens her door, already angry at the thought of them doing so.

But instead of her neighbours, she was met with a tall handsome boy that had dirty blonde hair and eyes as blue as the October skies. He wore a brown sweater and even darker brown trousers.

"Hello." He smiles a little, looking at a rather stunned Polly. "I'm looking for someone called Elizabeth Gray. People call her Polly, I believe."

Polly continues to gaze at him.

He takes off his peaky cap awkwardly. "I'm told she lives here at number seventeen. I came yesterday but no one was home, so I stuck around."

"W-what business do you have with Elizabeth Gray?"

"I think she might be my mother. Her nephew came and visited me two days ago but my— other mother— had a fit." He explains.

Polly stood there like a statue, not moving in the slightest.

"I'm Michael by the way." Michael holds his hand out for her to shake.

•••

"So you both are telling me that Arthur killed the poor boy?" Rose clarifies, pointing at Isiah and Finn who sat in Tommy's office waiting for him.

They both had their heads down, equally as anxious as each other. They didn't want to rat out Arthur and they were also still disturbed from seeing what they saw. Not to mention, there was something about waiting for Tommy in his office that sent you over the edge.