it's a boy

|19|
SLIPPING AWAY

ROSE HAD NEVER witnessed a birth

When she saw the pain and anguish Ada was going through, it almost felt like she was in a movie. Everything around her blurred and every action was in slow motion.

Ada had lost track of time, she couldn't remember a time she wasn't pushing this baby out. Almost every second she'd ask where Isaac was like she had no memory of asking the five hundred other times.

"Keep going!" Aunt Polly encourages, bending down at Ada's feet. "Good job."

Polly knew that they had to get this baby out quickly, it was now or never. "Push!"

Ada let's out another bloodcurdling scream. "Argh! I can't— it's, it's too —"

Esme, who was by Ada's side, feels her bump. "I think the baby might be the wrong way round."

Ada yells again in agony, gripping the towel she was on.

"I tended three sisters." Esme continues, with panic.

"Yeah, I think she's right." Rose chimes in.
She had never helped someone give birth but Ada looked like she was in too much pain than normal.

"We should lean her forward." Esme suggests in a hurry.

"You're right." Polly nods, turning Ada around with the help of the two girls. "Come on Ada, come on."

Sweat was dripping down her pale forehead and her face was red and flustered.

"Not long to go now!" Polly was rubbing her back. "Push! Come on! One...! Two...! Three...!"

•••

"Daisy! We need more drinks for the birthday boy. Put em' in those big glasses!" Arthur orders, he was more than drunk.

The boys were back at The Garrison which was practically empty now. Everyone had gone home, well, stumbled home. All that was left was confetti on the floor, some smashed glasses, popped balloons and litter.

"Alright." Daisy smiles, she'd seen them drunk but not this drunk. It was sort of amusing.

"We can't have too many drinks, we're moving on Kimber and his men tomorrow. Can't be hungover and fighting." John blurts, slumping.

John didn't know this yet but he had just given the most vital piece of information to the wife of a mayor working alongside the police force.

Daisy nods slowly, knowing in her heart she had just hit the jackpot in her investigation . "Well, I think that's a little too late now."