love, rosie

|25|
GOODBYES

ROSE BUTTONS UP her crimson red dress before lighting a cigarette

"The doctor said you shouldn't be standing up yet." Tommy cautions, watching her.

"I don't care what he says, needed to get out that hospital gown." She wipes her forehead, letting the cigarette sit in between her lips.

"He also said you shouldn't be smoking." He adds, still worried.

Ignoring Tommy's instructions, she inhales deeply. "It calms me down."

"They're having a party at The Garrison. It all went well." He informs, standing beside her.

Rose pauses, looking up at him with no emotion. "And you killed my father. Right?"

Taken back by her sudden words, Tommy steps back.

"You know, when you've been close to death so many times, you can sense it. It's like a shit superpower." Rose holds her cigarette to her mouth again.

She walks over to her bed, sucking her breath in as she sat down; her whole body ached.

"I did what I had to do, you told me he deserved to die." Tommy justifies. "He's done too much damage."

Rose had been through hell and back the last couple of hours. Hearing about her father's death, didn't seem real. But, she knew it would all kick in eventually and that scared her. Rose was already at a low point and she was not ready to go even lower.

"What about Daisy, did you do what you needed to do with her?" Rose questions bluntly, sitting up.

"Polly took care of her. They dealt with her, badly. She's headed to Australia."

Rose scoffs. "So, you decided to spare her then?"

"No." Tommy dejects sternly. "She is married to a government official, she has major connections. If we handed Daisy to the police she would've found a way to dodge prison. We had to deal with her ourselves."

Not convinced, Rose turns away.

"Right now, she is presumed missing." He continues.

Tommy bends down in front of Rose. "Look,"
He holds her chin up, "very soon she will be presumed dead. Her life won't be easy either, they injured both her legs and she might as well be a lame horse."

As much as it was arguably true that Daisy deserved it, Rose couldn't help but feel slightly uncomfortable at the thought of what they did to her.

Was this how Tommy was going to deal with everything?

Tommy could sense her uneasiness.

He holds Rose's chin up. "One day, I will stop this. I'll pick out the fucking razor blades from this cap one by one."