night of horrors

|59|
BROKEN CLOCKS

TOMMY PICKS UP another cigarette, he had lost count now

TOMMY PICKS UP another cigarette, he had lost count now. The roaring fire in his office was not enough to warm his cold detached soul. So for now, the countless cigarettes he smoked had to do.

These last few months it felt like his body was present but his thoughts were outside, venturing in business and dark deals.

It bothered Tommy in some ways.

He'd come home at the dead of the night, hang up his raven black coat and everyone would be fast asleep. Quietly, he'd kiss Rose on the forehead, readjust the blanket over her body and then do the same to his two sons in their room.

But after that, he'd be back in his office. Working until the candles burned out as well as his mind. In his own wretched way, he was trying to become somewhat an established family man

Yet there were still nights Tommy thought of how happier Rose would've been if she married Theo. He'd think of how she deserved a nicer, more simple life. Then seeing him tonight, made his thoughts become a reality.

"Tommy?" The door opens slowly, Rose peered into the room in a cautious manner.

"I knew you'd be here." She lets out a sigh of relief. It was clear she had been looking for him tirelessly.

His head hung low, smoke clouding his face as he sat behind his desk.

"You're working? I thought you said today was purely a family event." Rose chuckles lightly, trying to ease the tension.

"Wherever there is family, business follows."

Rose looks him straight in the eyes, she couldn't ignore the dark cloud hanging over them anymore.

"Tommy, I didn't invite him. I promise."

He remains quiet, not reacting to her words as if they were never even spoken. Then abruptly, he gets up, putting out his cigarette.

"Tommy, do not leave this room until we talk about this." Rose orders, there was still anxiety in her tone.

He turns around, piercing her with his artic blue eyes.

"If you didn't invite him then why is he here Rosella?"

Rose stutters. "I— I told you. I didn't invite him, Cecilia did. I don't know why he'd accept—"

"Do you really think he gives a shit about Michael and Sarah's wedding?" He snaps, putting documents away.

"If you do then you are delusional, sweetheart. He's here for you."