heaven is yours

|12|
LIVED TO DIE

    THE ROAD WASN'T clear but rather foggy, with a strong midst that coated the unknown atmosphere

Angelic music sounds the air; harps, violins and golden pianos struck their melodies. It was the same song Rose's mother, Ethelinda, would dance to in the kitchen as she cooked most mornings when she was a little girl.

The smell of fresh cinnamon buns travelled to her nose; her mother baked them every morning after church.

It was almost like an ambiguous call home.

Rose looks ahead onto the shadowed road, trying to capture her surroundings, but she couldn't.

She gazes at her palms.

Rose felt new again, replenished, younger and healthier.

"My Rosie."

It was a voice that became as old as time,

it was her mother.

There, Ethelinda stood in the watery light ahead.

Ethelinda didn't look like how she was when Rose last saw her, she was so young here, twenty three or so.

Clothed in a dark blue dress with a ribbon drawn at the waist. On her dark chestnut hair was a matching dark blue headscarf and she was wearing her favourite hoop earrings.

She was a Romany woman through and through.

The unwavering light above her looked almost like a halo, her skin didn't look real.

Shaking , Rose takes a closer step towards her.

"Don't be scared." Her voice echoes as the sky whitens. "It's not as hard as you think."

Hesitantly, Rose begins a steady walk towards her mother.

They were now only movements away from each other.

Ethelinda's face glowed and Rose was almost too petrified to touch it, to feel it physically. This was a face that she had been robbed of seeing for years, it brought her great melancholy yet great joy to see it again.

For her mother gave her a comfort like no other and ceased every living pain that ached in her soul.

She smiles at her daughter, caressing her pale face. "You didn't think it would be like this, did you?"

Rose opens her mouth to speak, but was completely starstruck by the angelic presence of her mother.

"W-where am I?"

Ethelinda smiles again at her obliviousness, wrapping her arms around Rose ever so tightly. "You're home."

Rose looks up at her mother, whilst still in her perpetual embrace, she notices a red mark around her neck.