doomsday

|07|

WAR IN MY MIND

EMILY BROWNING | DAISY WILSON

ROSE GAZES AT the black and white picture on the wall of Tommy with a horse.

He looked almost happy.

There was another picture that caught her eye, it was what looked like a younger Tommy, Arthur and John, arms around each other.

Tommy was smiling so Rose knew it had to have been before the war.

He looked vulnerable, in a good way, he looked like he was open with his feelings and didn't care too much then. Genuine joy was in his eyes and that smile — that smile was real.

"So this is where we keep most of the documents about the races." Ada unlocks a cabinet drawer with a key before pulling it open. "So all the boring stuff basically."

Tommy had gotten Ada to show Rose around the betting shop that was attached to house, they had been walking in circles all morning as Ada attempted to explain to Rose what her new job consisted of.

She walks Rose to the other side of the office, showing her pay checks and bills. "Polly oversees all the financial nonsense, but you might have to look at transactions every now and then. Are you just as good with numbers than words?"

Rose focuses back on Ada, realising she was asking her a question. "Um, yes. I just prefer literature and you know, actual words."

"Who doesn't? I took one bookkeeping class at the town hall and fell asleep! Mr Holt had to wake me up to tell me everyone had left. There was drool on the desk." Ada recalls with a giggle.

"It can't be as bad as the time I was in Oxford, in an English lecture and I yawned." Rose laughs, struggling to finish her sentence. "But it came out as a really big burp that echoed everywhere."

The two lady's laugh in unison, holding one another. It was almost like they were school girls again, telling a joke about a strict mean teacher.

"I was surrounded by scholars, officials and children of bloody millionaires! They all heard it! I think the whole of Oxford did." Rose continues, struggling to breath.

Ada sighs, as her laugh declines.

"I'm so hungry, could do with a roast. Are you?"

"I ate this morning." Rose replies, watching Ada sit on the desk.

"I eat everything in the house sometimes and I'm still starving." Ada admits casually.

"Don't you feel sick afterwards?" Rose queries with a chuckle.

"I felt a bit sick this morning actually." She admits, turning around. "Only because I stuffed all the bread and jam from Penny's down my fucking throat."