Chapter 48

"You hope?" Remus asked. Roman nodded.

"I know." He said. "Now, Janus?"

Janus hunched his shoulders as he looked at Roman. Remus' gaze slid to Roman.

"Why hasn't he said anything?" He asked.

"I don't know." Roman said. "Janus, you need to take your jacket off if we're going to see the damage."

Janus shook his head and shuffled back, hitting a wall. His eyes had grown even wider and he clasped his hands over the arms of his jacket. He kept on shaking his head, hunching his shoulders up to nearly his ears.

"Janus, we can't do much if you don't help." Roman said. Something in the back of his mind was twitching like a cat's ear when the cat was irked. Janus was just being odd. "Janus, we need you to help us."

Janus shook his head violently. Remus looked at Roman out of the corner of his eye before inching a little closer to Janus. Janus flinched but didn't move away.

"Jan," Remus said gently, "what's wrong?"

"What's wrong, Re, is that Freddie just wiped the floor with him and I'm trying to see if he's badly hurt." Roman said. "Don't see how you're helping."

"You brought me out here." Remus said, keeping his voice low. "Don't see how scaring Jan into a corner is helping him so let me try." Remus shot his brother a glare before turning back to Janus. "Jan, are you badly hurt physically?"

Janus hesitated and then shook his head. Remus nodded. "Okay. Do you want us to help you patch up your hands?"

Janus looked down at the back of his hands, as if he'd only just noticed that the skin of his knuckles was scraped raw. He looked up at Remus and shook his head again.

"Okay." Remus said calmly. He held out his hand to Roman. "The medical shit."

"But-"

"The medical shit." Remus repeated. His voice was calm enough but there was a steely glint in his eye. "Now."

"Fine, fine." Roman said. He passed Remus Logan's supplies with an eye roll.

"Did Ro apologise to you?" Remus asked as Janus took the gauze and started carefully patching up his knuckles. Janus nodded, focused on his hand. "Great." Remus shot a too-cheery smile at Roman. "Your services are no longer needed."

"I'm not leaving!" Roman protested. "I wanna make sure Janus' okay too."

"Why? You've never cared about him before." Remus said curtly. Janus tapped Remus on the arm and shook his head. "Huh?"

Janus pointed to himself and shook his head.

"For God's sakes Janus, you can talk." Roman snapped. Janus stared at Roman, his eyes wide, his face a mask of anxiety. Roman rolled his eyes. "Sorry." He said begrudgingly. "But I don't get it. What's with the sudden vow of silence?"

Janus bowed his head and squeezed his eyes shut tight. "I don't think he's comfortable with it." Remus said slowly. "S'that right?"

Janus nodded a little.

"See?" Remus said, looking up at Roman with a small look of triumph on his face. "And since you snapping at him isn't going to help, why don't you go annoy your emo instead?"

"My emo?!" Roman repeated. He hated how his face grew a little hot at that.

"Yeah." Remus said. "It's no big secret that you're smitten with him."

"You only know that because I told you!" Roman protested indignantly. Janus giggled a little, tying the gauze in a knot.

"Be-Be-Believe me, Roman." He said quietly, stumbling a little over his words. Still, the tone was unmistakable. "It-It's pretty, pretty clear, e-even to me, that you, you like Vir-Virgil." Janus smirked.

My solution to last chapter?
PRETEND IT NEVER HAPPENED, HA!
Bye,
Blaize