Chapter 44

Remus looked at Logan, his nose scrunched and his eyes narrowed. "Fucking weirdo." He said. "Anyway, Jan, it's your turn."

"Do I have to?" Janus asked. "I'd much rather just guess."

"No, you have to." Remus insisted. "That's how the game works."

Janus sighed. "Fine." He scratched the side of his nose as he thought. "Um, I played Macbeth in my Year 6 play, I turn 17 next March and I've failed only one of my mocks so far." He shrugged.

Roman tried to catch Remus' eye to share a sceptical look but Remus didn't look at him. "How are we meant to guess that?" He asked. Janus glared at him.

"That's the game. To guess and hope you got it right." He said. "Besides, I would've thought you'd know which is the lie."

Roman exaggerated his shrug. "How am I-?" Janus' glare cut him off.

"From what your insinuating," Logan said slowly, "it would prove logical that the lie is either the first or second one. Since you and Roman have been... separate for a year or so."

"You've failed one mock?!" Roman yelled.

"Why is that so surprising?"

"Cause all you do is skip." Roman said.

"Yeah but I'm smart." Janus said. "What's the point of sitting in a boring classroom all day when you can go somewhere better and watch videos instead?"

Roman stared at his incredulously. "You're insane. You're fucking insane."

Janus inclined his head. "Thank you." He said like he'd just received a great compliment.

"Going back to the game," Remus interrupted, "who's gonna guess?"

"I'd guess the second one." Logan said. "People are more likely to lie if they believe putting their lie between two truths makes it more believable."

Janus pointed at him. "Correct. Turning 17 in February, actually." He looked at Roman, perhaps a little more hurt than he'd let on. "You seriously didn't remember that?"

"Who cares about birthdays?" Roman asked. "I forgot Re's birthday! It's the same day as mine!"

"That just proves that you're a self-centred little prick." Janus said. He didn't need another argument with Roman but damn it all to Hell, he wanted to let his anger out at someone.

"I am not!" Roman snapped. "How d'you expect me to remember your birthday when your own dad can't even be bothered to remember you half the time?!" Something snapped in his face as he said that and his expression changed from anger to shock (at himself? At Janus? It didn't matter).

Janus held Roman's gaze. He hoped his expression was unreadable.

"I don't want to play anymore." He said. He looked down and jumped down off the desk, praying he wouldn't cry. He wouldn't cry, he wouldn't.

"Janus-" Roman tried to say. Janus paid him no heed, grabbing his bag.

"You promised not to bring him up." Janus muttered. He didn't know who he was talking to, whether it was himself or Roman.

"Jan-" Remus tried to catch his attention as he passed by him. Janus flinched slightly, turning his head away. He shouldered his bag and just walked even faster.

He was trying so hard not to run.

"Please don't be locked, please don't be locked." Janus pleaded in his head as he turned the door-knob. The door opened and Janus tried not to breathe too big a sigh of relief. He didn't bother shutting the door behind himself.

Well... this was a turn
Bye,
Blaize