Chapter 31

Logan fiddled with the cuff of his shirt as he walked despondently through the second floor corridors. Neither Virgil nor Remus in their right mind would come up here so him being here was rather pointless.

Besides, no one even liked core subjects. For some reason, English, Maths and Science had all been put on the top floor. Really, it was stupid, seeing as they were the subjects students had most often.

"This school makes no sense." Logan muttered to himself. "Shove a mentally ill trans kid in detention but don't have the two biggest bullies in the school suspended, at the very least. And put the most used subjects on the top damn floor."

He shook his head and sighed, shoving his hands in his pockets. His hand hit against his phone and he clutched it dully, dialling a number without even thinking about it.

"- idiot! Hey Lo. Everything okay?" Pat's voice came through the phone.

"Uhm, yeah." Logan said. "Just wanted to hear your voice, that's all."

"Oh, okay." Pat said, always with the smiley tone. Logan couldn't help but smile when he heard their voice.

"Anyway, how are you? Can't imagine detention's very fun." Pat continued. Logan sighed, looking up at the corridor before him.

"Yeah, it's not the best." He said. "But it's not exactly the worst. Not just me and Virgil, which probably would've been awkward." He hesitated. "We actually got out of the detention hall." He said.

"Really?" Pat asked excitedly. "How?!"

Logan looked down at his feet with a small laugh. "Promise you won't get mad at me?"

"When have I ever? Hold on." The line crackled and then Logan heard Pats voice, a little muffled. "Em, don't you dare start another-" a theme tune cut through Pat's voice. "I hate you!" Pat yelled. "I'm telling dad!"

Logan laughed a little.

"Sorry 'bout that." Pat said. "Anyway, I'd never get mad at you, Lo, promise."

Logan smiled a little. "Okay. Uhm... I kinda stole the key off Freddie and we got out."

"Lo..." Pat didn't sound angry, just disappointed.

"It was only meant to be to get Virgil's headphones back." Logan defended quickly. "But then Virgil ran off and Remus followed."

"Hold on, Remus?" Pat asked. "Remus Winston?"

"Yeah. How'd you know?"

"Well, first of all, there's only one Remus in the school," Pat said, "and he flirts with everything. He'd probably hit on me if he didn't know I had a boyfriend. So, who else is at detention?"

"Remus, obviously, and his brother. I think you know him. Roman?" Logan asked.

"Oh, yeah! I was on costumes when he did a show." Pat said and Logan could imagine them grinning.

"Well, they're here and so's Janus."

"Janus?" Pat repeated.

"Janus Dagger. He and Roman used to go out, he's a skipper?"

"Oh, yeah, I heard 'bout him and Roman. Didn't know it was him, though." Pat said. "I imagine it can't be fun, then, with both of them in the room."

"Like teething wild cats." Logan said, trying the handle to his English room. If Remus was going to go anywhere on this floor, it would be this particular English room. "It's awful. You keep thinking they're going to tear each other's heads off."

"You mean they haven't already?" Pat asked. "Emile, it's my damn turn next, I'm watching you!" They yelled.

"The only reason they haven't is cause I told them Virgil got panicked over loud noises." Logan confessed.

"Thought he was pretty secretive 'bout that stuff."

"He'd already had one by the time I told them." Logan said. "I wouldn't have told otherwise. Anywho, I've been searching top floor for Remus and no luck so far."

"You really think he'd go to core subjects?" Pat asked with a little laugh. Logan felt a little heat rise to his cheeks at their laugh.

"It wasn't my choice." He protested quickly. "I was just assigned this floor. I'm probably going to go back down to the detention hall."

"Okay." Pat said cheerily. "Look, I gotta go make sure Em doesn't start yet another episode of Avatar cause I need to finish Shadow and Bone. Love you, bye."

"Bye. Love you too." Logan said with a small smile. Pat hung up.

This was unnecessary but very cute.
Bye,
Blaize