Chapter 26

Virgil looked up as someone else left the hall.

"Thought you didn't want to come." He said. Logan shrugged.

"You're both wearing Doc. Martens." He said simply. Virgil grinned. It wasn't an apology - it wasn't an anything, really - but Logan didn't have anything to apologise for, as he usually might when Virgil walked out.

"Thought you didn't like stealing, Specs." Remus said.

"I don't." Logan said. "But it's not like I have a choice half the time. I might as well put it to good use."

Virgil looked back at his feet, pulling on the strings of his hoodie. He leaned his head back against the wall.

"What about Princey and Snake Boy?" Virgil asked. Logan shrugged.

"They were fighting when I left. As usual." Logan sighed but it was a shaky noise. Virgil looked up at him and patted the ground next to him.

"Sit down." He said. "It helps with the nerves."

Logan looked down at him sceptically. "Does it?"

"It does if you believe it does." Virgil said. He leaned his head forward and took a long, calming breath. "See? Helping already."

Logan blew a breath up through his fringe but sat down anyway. Remus looked at them both in an odd way.

"What?" Virgil asked. Remus shrugged and leaned against the wall next to them.

"So are we gonna wait here or what?" Remus asked.

"Well, if you go somewhere, Janus is definitely going to follow." Logan said.

"Why?" Remus asked, a small scoff in his voice.

"Because he likes you." Logan said calmly. Virgil snorted with laughter and put his hand over his mouth.

"No he doesn't." Remus said, rolling his eyes.

"Does too." Logan said.

"Maybe you should listen to him, Re." Virgil said. "After all, Nerdy Wolverine here managed to snag a partner. He's an expert on matters of the heart." Logan pushed Virgil's face away. "Hey!" He protested and laughed.

"Do that again and I'll lick your hand." Virgil warned. Logan's hand shot away, into Logan's pocket.

"Specs might've gotten a partner," Remus said, running a hand through his hair and making it stick up, "but he's by no means versed in the matters of the heart."

"No, but I can tell when someone wants to kiss someone else." Logan said, a small snap at the back of his tone. "And you and Janus seemed to be getting pretty cosy back there."

Remus glared down at Logan, his face flushing.

"Hey nerds, kids and other failures." Was how Janus announced himself, swinging around the doorframe.

"Hey, Jan." Remus said, taking a breath. "Ro not coming?"

Janus shrugged. "Far as I know, he's acting fence." He said. "Not too bad, every mission needs a fence."

"What's a fence?" Virgil asked. Janus looked at him.

"Why are you on the floor?"

"None of your beeswax, what's a fence?" Virgil asked.

"Someone who can lie their way out of anything." Janus said. "They're basically there to make sure we don't get caught."

"So shouldn't you be acting fence, then?" Roman asked, shutting the door behind himself. Virgil hated the way he felt his face light up when he saw Roman.

"Pull yourself together, Virgil." He thought firmly.

"So we aren't gonna have a fence, then?" Logan asked.

"Why are you on the floor?" Roman asked instead of answering the question. Remus laughed.

"God, they're so similar." Virgil thought.

"Answer Lo's question, Princey." He said.

Roman shrugged. "Guess not." He said. "Now, come on. We're here to get Sunshine's headphones back."

Virgil stood up. "Call me that again and I'll hang your kneecaps on my wall as a victory prize." He said calmly, smiling at Roman.

I meant for the heist to be this chapter but have a bit of banter instead, cool.
Bye,
Blaize