Chapter 2

Logan looked up at the school building.

"Well, looks like no one's here, let's go back." He said.

"Logan."

Logan sighed. "Pat, I don't want to do this. I don't need to be here, it's not my fault."

"Lo, I know that." Pat said. "We all know that. Your parents, Oscar, Emile, me, we all know that."

"Then why am I still here?" Logan asked, pushing his glasses up his nose. Pat took his hand.

"Because they don't know that." They said. "And it's stupid, yeah. It's ridiculous and idiotic and stupid. But, maybe today you could try explain it to them. Then if it happens again, you won't get in so much trouble."

"Last time I tried to explain, I was talked over." Logan said. He took a breath, trying not to snap at Pat. They were just trying to help.

"Well, maybe that's what this is for." Pat said. "You know, for you to explain. Look." They nodded to the school. "There's someone else. Kid who's always late to form, what's his name...?"

"Virgil?" Logan asked.

"Yeah, that's it." Pat said, grinning. "Look, you'll be fine." They kissed Logan on the cheek. "Now go on. I'll be here when you  come out, okay?"

Logan sighed a little, a bit of his shirt crushed in his hand, but grabbed his bag and left the car.

Remus looked up as the door to the detention hall opened. He elbowed Roman and half-pointed to the person who'd just come in. A huge purple hoodie covered most of them, coming down to about mid-thigh and giving way to black ripped jeans and Doc. Martens.

"Kinda hot, whatcha think?" He asked. Roman glared at him.

"Off limits." He hissed. "You know I like him." He mumbled, crossing his arms.

Virgil looked at the brothers and pulled his hood further over his headphones before heading right to the back of the hall, dumping his bag on the table and sitting down next to it.

"Ah yes, quite the charmer." Remus said sarcastically. "What d'you see in him, Ro?"

Roman shrugged. "He's hot, what can I say?" Remus snorted with laughter.

"Yeah right, have you ever actually talked to him?" He asked. Roman looked away just as a new person entered the hall. Black jumper, blue button-up shirt over that, blue jeans and white trainers. Boringly nerdy.

"Hey, Specs." Remus called out to them. They glared at Remus, not replying. Remus rolled his eyes and stuck a foot out, tripping the kid over. He laughed loudly as they stumbled.

"Really mature." They snapped, pushing their glasses up their nose. "Really fucking mature."

"Woah-ho, watch the nerd with the bad language." Roman said, elbowing his brother.

"Leave him alone." A low voice said from the back of the hall. Roman twisted around to look at Virgil, who gave no indication that he'd spoken except he was glaring hard at the brothers.

"Or what, pipsqueak?" Remus asked. Roman shoved him. Virgil just glared.

"I'm exactly the right size to kick you in the nuts." He said. "And I'm wearing Doc. Martens. Don't test me."

Remus rolled his eyes and looked at Roman. "Quite the charmer." He said sarcastically. "Great taste, Ro, gold star."

Roman slumped down in his chair, shoving Remus again. "Shut up. You realise you've blown all my chances with him, right?"

Remus shrugged. "What do I care? You'll find someone else." He said.

Logan pulled on the strap of his bag awkwardly. "Thank you." He said to Virgil. Virgil looked up at him. He shrugged and looked back down at his phone.

"Yeah, whatever."

This book is so much fun to write.
Bye,
Blaize