Chapter 38

Remus laughed and the sound sent a jolt through Janus. It wasn't Remus' normal laugh. It was lower and it... it was just different.

"Darling, huh?" He asked flirtatiously.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit, shit." Alarm bells were going off in Janus' head. How could've he been so stupid to say that out loud?

"Uhm-" Janus tried to think desperately of something to say but the entire English language seemed to have emptied out of his mind. "Um-" He said again, trying to stall for time.

Remus laughed again, tilting his head back and grinning. "Aw, you're flustered!" He proclaimed. "That's so cute!"

Janus made a sort of croak sound in the back of his throat and tried to hide his flaming face in his hands.

"Hey, no, I'm sorry." Remus said, his voice threaded through with laughter. "I didn't mean it, come back." He tried to pry Janus' hands away from his face as he spoke.

"Didn't mean what, I'm the idiot who called you..." Janus didn't finished the sentence but didn't stop Remus pulling his hands away from his face.

If either of them noticed that Remus hadn't let go of Janus' hands, he didn't say.

"Darling?" Remus asked and his slightly suggestive tone was back. Janus groaned and squeezed his eyes shut, trying to hide his face on the desk. Needless to say, it didn't work.

"Sorry, sorry, can't help it." Remus said, laughing. Janus looked up at the ceiling, forcing himself not to look at Remus. If he did, who could say what he did?

"Wouldn't've pegged you as a blusher, Jan." Remus said. Janus shrugged.

"Wouldn't've either." He said. "Wouldn't've thought I'd be anything close to a blusher." Why was he being so honest with Remus? What had Remus done for Janus to make him deserve Janus' honesty?

"Hm... Maybe it's just my magic." Remus said. Now Janus did look at Remus, a sceptical laugh escaping him.

"Your magic?" He repeated.

"Yup." Remus nodded. "It's a power that runs in my family. All Winstons are irresistibly attractive." Remus said, leaning closer to Janus. Janus swallowed and forced himself to look away again. Remus still hadn't let go of his hands.

"All Winstons?" He asked.

"Yup." Remus said. "Well, maybe not my brother. Roman got all the talent but I got all the good looks."

"You're talented too." Janus said, looking back at Remus. Their faces were still as close as before. "Roman can't play the piano or do gymnastics or fluster people beyond words. All Roman can do is sing a little and lie convincingly. Anyone can do that, you can do the actually important things!"

The look on Remus' face was one of utter and complete surprise. His eyes - beautiful, dark green eyes like a forest canopy - were wide and his lips were slightly parted in amazement.

Remus looked down quickly. "Oh." He managed to squeak out. "Oh, okay."

Janus tilted his own head down to try and meet Remus' eyes. "You okay?" Was Remus blushing?

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah I'm... fine." Remus said quickly. Janus held his gaze, ignoring the blush on his cheeks. Remus' gaze flicked down Janus' face - was he staring at Janus' lips? - and he let go of one of Janus' hands.

Janus took a breath and cupped Remus' face with his free hand. Remus met Janus' gaze, blood rushing to his cheeks. Janus looked down at Remus' lips and leaned forward a little. He hesitated, feeling Remus' breath ghost his face.

"What are you doing?" A hard little voice in his head asked. "What if he's just like his brother? Look how fucked up you are from Roman, you couldn't take another heart-break."

Before Janus could make a choice about anything, his phone's alarm started. Janus leaned back in his chair, sighing. Remus' eyes flew open at the noise.

"What's that?" He asked. Janus let out a breathy laugh.

"Logan insisted that we put an alarm for an hour or something. So we know when to get back to detention." He tried to keep the disappointment out of his voice. "We'd better get back."

Remus looked like he was going to protest. He looked away. "Yeah." He muttered. "Probably."

This physically hurt me to write.
Bye,
Blaize